This recipe is from my grand mother, it is like a very traditional recipe in our place. This is a compulsary one on ganesh chaturthi. Traditionally we make it in the heart shaped leaf which is known as arasa maram leaf. But it is hard to find, so you can make this in plain banana leaf. But for people who cannot get banana leaf, you can make it in aluminium foil too.
The outer layer will be very thin and chewy, which contains the sweet coconut filling. It is simply amazing. There is one more stuffing which is made from jack fruit which goes into this. I will post that in another post. That one is my favorite.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Banana Leaf as needed
- Jaggery / Sarkarai - 1 cup grated
- Coconut - 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder / Yelakai - 1 tsp
- All purpose flour / Maida - 1 cup
- Salt a pinch
- Water as needed
- Oil as needed
- Take jaggery in a kadai add water to it and mix well. Heat it up till it is melted.Strain it and pour it back in to the kadai.
- Add coconut to it and mix well.
- Now add in cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat it till it gets thick. Remove and set aside.
- Take all purpose flour, salt in a bowl. Add water and mix well.
- Take banana leaf and wilt it over flame a little. Spread some oil over it. Spoon some batter on it, spread thinly.
- Spoon some filling over it and fold it in half.
- Steam for 10 mins.
1)Take all your ingredients for filling
2)Take jaggery in a pan
3)Add water to it
4)Boil and cook till jaggery is melted
5)Now jaggery is melted
7)See all those sediments
8)Take it back in the pan
11)Cook till it thickens.add cardamom powder
14)Remove to a bowl and cool it down.
15)Now make outer coating. Take all purpose flour / maida in a bowl.
16)Add some salt
17)Add water and make it into a little thin batter.
19)The batter should be little flowy
20)Take some banana leaf
21)Gently place it over flame so it gets wilted
23)Take a leaf
24)grease with little oil
25)Spoon some of the batter in
26)Spread it evenly
28)Place it in a steamer and steam for 10 mins