Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe with step wise pictures. Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe which is easy to make and taste so delicious. I am showing you step by step method of making the perfect biryani.
A delicious Hyderabadi style mutton dum biryani which is not that complicated at all. Follow my step by step directions and you will get perfect biryani every time.
About Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe
I have made so many types of biryani, but i would say that dum biryani is the real one and has the real taste to it. I love pressure cooker biryani and one pot biryani as well but nothing can beat a dum biryani when it is properly made. Have few dum biryani recipes in my blog. There are certain steps in making the perfect biryani..I have given everything perfectly here. I think this will help you a lot.
Think everyone know that making biryani is a kind of art. Yes each step is really important in that, but with a little patience and practice you can become a biryani master. Specially ramzan biryani is one which sat in my to do list for ages. I finally thought to give it a try. I was so careful in each step and took my own time to prepare everything, since it was my first attempt. But the result was awesome. The biryani came out with full of flavour and everyone loved it.
The cool part in making dum biryani is, when you dum the biryani, your house will be smelling like heaven. And also when you open the biryani it is just heaven. Can’t describe it in words. You can check out my other simple veg biryani and non veg biryani as well.
Ingredients for Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe
- Basmati Rice
- Mutton / Lamb
- Turmeric Powder
- Special Garam Masala Powder
- Oil & Ghee
- Ginger Garlic Paste
- Sultanas / Kishmish
- Coriander Leaves
- Mint Leaves
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe Video
How to make Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani at Home
Heat oil in a kadai. Add in sliced onions and fry onions till golden brown. Drain and set aside. Rinse and soak basmati rice for 1 hour. Chop up herbs like coriander and mint and set aside. Fry kishmish and cashews in ghee and set aside. Soak saffron and food colour in milk and set aside. Make sure you prepare the shahi garam masala powder as mentioned here.
Marinating Mutton | Lamb
Take mutton in a large bowl and add marinating ingredients and mix really well. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour to overnight. If marinating overnight put the bowl in fridge to marinate. Also remove the mutton from fridge 1 hour before cooking to bring it back to room temp.
Cooking Rice for Biryani
Now lets cook basmati rice. You need to cook the rice until it is 50 percent cooked. Bring large pot of water to a boil, add salt. Once the water starts to boil, add in drained soaked basmati rice. Cook for 3 to 4 mins till rice is 50% cooked. Don’t drain it, take it off the heat and immediately start the assembling of biryani.
Assembling the Biryani
Take a large pot, You can use any biryani pot or dutch oven. add mutton spread it in the bottom. Now top with half of the rice, use a slotted spoon to drain the rice from the water and add it directly over the marinated mutton and spread evenly. Top with half of the fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Top with more rice and top with fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Sprinkle with fried cashews and kishmish. Add extracts over the rice. Pour the saffron milk over it also.
How to Dum Cook Biryani
Seal the rim of the pot with a sticky atta dough. Place a lid. Press firmly to seal it well. Top with mortar and pestle or any heavy objects like a pot filled with some water. Cook on a very low heat for 45 mins. Once the time is up, remove the biryani from heat and set aside for 10 mins. Open the lid, fluff up the rice. Serve hot.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe | Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani Recipe
- 1 kg Basmati Rice
- 1 kg Onion sliced thinly
- 2 cups Oil
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped finely
- 1 cup Mint Leaves chopped finely
- ¼ cup Ghee
- ½ cup Kishmish (sultanas)
- ½ tsp Saffron a pinch
- ¼ cup Warm Milk
- Yellow Food Colour few drops
- Rose Extract few drops
- Kewra Extract few drops
- 1 kg Mutton (Lamb) (on the bone)
- 3 tbsp Raw Papaya Paste
- 5 tbsp Shahi Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 cup Mint Leaves chopped
- 1 cup Yogurt (curd)
- 2 cups Fried Onions
- 6 Green Chillies chopped finely
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Fried Onion Oil
- Salt to taste
For Atta Dough (Sealing Biryani Pot)
- 3 cups Wheat Flour
For Shahi Garam Masala Powder Recipe
- ¼ cup Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam
- ¼ cup Cinnamon / Pattai
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 10 Black Cardamom
- 20 Green Cardamom
- 1 tbsp Cloves
- 5 Mace
- 4 StarAnise
- 5 Black Stone Flower / Kal Paasi
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add in sliced onions and fry onions till golden brown. Drain and set aside. You need the onion fried oil for the marination. So reserve the fried onion and onion oil. Rinse and soak basmati rice for 1 hour. Chop up herbs like coriander and mint and set aside. Fry kishmish and cashews in ghee and set aside. Soak saffron and food colour in milk and set aside. Make sure you prepare the shahi garam masala powder as mentioned here.
For Shahi Garam masala powder
- Take all ingredients in a dry pan and roast on a very low heat 5 to 7 mins. Cool it down. Take it in a blender and powder fine. Store in an air tight container.
- Take mutton in a large bowl and add marinating ingredients and mix really well. Set aside to marinate for 1 hour to overnight. If marinating overnight put the bowl in fridge to marinate. Also remove the mutton from fridge 1 hour before cooking to bring it back to room temp.
- Now lets cook basmati rice. You need to cook the rice until it is 50 percent cooked. Bring large pot of water to a boil, add salt. Once the water starts to boil, add in drained soaked basmati rice. Cook for 3 to 4 mins till rice is 50% cooked. Don’t drain it, take it off the heat and immediately start the assembling of biryani.
Assembling the Biryani
- Take a large pot, You can use any biryani pot or dutch oven. add mutton spread it in the bottom. Now top with half of the rice, use a slotted spoon to drain the rice from the water and add it directly over the marinated mutton and spread evenly. Top with half of the fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Top with more rice and top with fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Top with fried cashews and kishmish. Add extracts over the rice. Pour the saffron milk over it also.
How to Dum Cook Biryani
- Knead wheat flour and water to make a dough. Seal the rim of the pot with a sticky atta dough. Place a lid. Press firmly to seal it well. Top with mortar and pestle or any heavy objects like a pot filled with some water. Cook on a very low heat for 45 mins. Once the time is up, remove the biryani from heat and set aside for 10 mins. Open the lid, fluff up the rice. Serve hot.
- Marinating mutton is important. So atleast marinate for 1 hour.
- Add raw papaya paste to make the meat tender and cook faster.
- If you are not adding papaya paste marinate mutton for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cook rice only till 50% else it will get mushy during the 1 hour dum process.
- Cook the rice on very very low heat. You can even place it over a tawa which is heated.
Version 1: Authentic Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani (Dum Method)
1)First lets marinate the mutton pieces. I am using 1 kg mutton here. Wash and take it in a bowl.
2)Add in raw papaya paste
3)Add shahi garam masala powder. Recipe here. This is important, it gives the real aroma.
4)Add ginger garlic paste
5)Add in kashmiri chilli powder
6)Add in lemon juice.
7)Add in turmeric powder
8)Add in fried onions
9)Add in yogurt /curd
10)Add salt and mix well.
11)Add in coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies
12)Add in the onion fried oil.
13)Massage it for 2 to 3 mins. Now let it marinate for 1 hour.
14)Meanwhile soak 1 kg basmati rice for 1 hour.
15)Now take your biryani making pot. Add mutton in
16)Spread it evenly and cook for 5 mins.
17)Meanwhile i cooked the basmati rice till it is 50% cooked. It will take just 3 to 4 mins once you add rice to boiling water.
18)Take mutton off the heat.
19)Top with half of the rice.
20)Spread it gently. You can see we changed the pot, since the above pot was too big for our rice.
21)Top with half of the fried onions
22)Top with half of the coriander and mint leaves
23)Top with the remaining rice
24)Top with more fried onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves
25)Drizzle in rose essence and kewra extract.
26)Pour over some raisins which is fried in some ghee
27)Pour over some saffron which is soaked in some milk
28)Now it is all assembled
29)I made a sticky atta dough. It is just wheat flour kneaded with some water.
30)I placed the dough on the rim.
31)Cover with a lid and place a heavy object on top. I also poured some water on top. Let it cook on really low heat for 45 mins
33)Fluff the rice
Version 2: Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani (Easy Method)
Recipe for Hyderabadi Style Mutton Dum Biryani
For Cooking Rice
- 1 kg Basmati Rice
- 2 tblspn Salt
For Cooking Lamb:
- 1 kg with Bone Mutton / Lamb
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal podi
Special Garam Masala Powder :
- 2 tblspn Coriander Seeds / Malli
- 10 Cardamom
- 2 Star Anise / Annachi mokku
- 1 Piece Cinnamon Stick
- 3 piece Mace / Jathipathri
- 6 Cloves / Krambu
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam
- 3 tblspn Ghee
- ½ cup Oil
- 3 tblspn Onion
- 3 tblspn Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 chopped Briyani Leaf
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- 1 tblspn or to taste Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder / Jeeraka Podi
- 6 slit Green Chillies
- 5 large chopped finely Tomatoes
- 1 cup Curd
- Salt to taste
- 1 large Finely Sliced and Deep Fried Onions
- ½ cup fried Cashews
- ½ cup fried Sultanas / Kishmish
- 1 cup finely chopped Coriander Leaves / Cilantro- 1 cup finely chopped Mint Leaves
- a pinch soaked in ½ cup of warm milk Saffron
- 2 tblspn Ghee
How to Make Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani (Easy Method)
Make the special garam masala powder. Dry roast all the ingredients given in that list on a low flame till it gets toasted and nice aroma comes from it. Let it cool a bit, now powder this till it is fine. Set aside.
Cook the Mutton. Take Cleaned mutton pieces in a pressure cooker. Add salt and turmeric powder to it. Cover it and cook for 6 whistle and simmer the flame for 15 mins. Switch off the flame and let the steam escape all by itself. Open the pressure cooker and set aside the well cooked mutton.
Cook the rice. Soak the rice for 30 mins. Drain it and set aside. Boil lots of water in a huge pot. Add a good amount of salt to it. Let this come to a boil. Once it starts to boil, add the soaked rice and cook till it is ¾th cooked. The rice should be cooked, but should have a little bite in the center. It will take around 5-7 mins.Keep a close eye in this.
Make the toppings. Heat some oil in a pan. Fry some cashews and sultanas till it is golden. Set aside. Deep fry some onions till it is golden. Remove and set aside. Soak Saffron in warm milk and set aside. Chop your herbs and set aside.
Make the masala. Add ghee to the remaining oil in the kadai where the onions are fried. Add in the sliced onions and fry till light brown. In goes ginger garlic paste and saute for a couple of mins. Add in the spice powders and the briyani leaf and mix well. Now add in the green chilli and mix well. Add tomatoes and toss well with the masala. Cover and cook for 5 mins till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add the curd and give a stir. Sprinkle in the prepared special garam masala powder, salt and mix well.
Add the cooked mutton pieces along with all the juice and mix well. Cook a high heat till the gravy gets thick.
Assemble the briyani. Remove half the masala to a bowl. Spread the rest of the masala evenly in a huge pot. Add half of the cooked rice, half of the chopped herbs, half of the fried nuts, fried onions, half of the soaked saffron milk. Now add half of the masala again on top. Followed by half of the cooked rice, half of the chopped herbs, half of the fried nuts, fried onions, half of the soaked saffron milk. Top with a couple of tblspn of ghee. Cover this with a tight fitting lid. Place on a very low heat for 15-20 mins. Turn off the heat and leave it for 15 mins. Open the lid and fluff the rice so that everything is mixed well. Serve with raita or any gravy.
STEP 1: Make the Spice Powder
|These are the spices needed for the masala powder|
|Dry roast all these spices in a low flame|
|toast till they are nutty|
|take them in a spice grinder|
|and make into a powder|
STEP 2: Cook the Mutton / Lamb
|take your mutton in a pressure cooker with some salt and turmeric powder|
|cover them and cook|
|till the mutton is cooked|
|boil lots of water and add the rice in|
|cook till they are 3/ 4th done|
|Now fry some cashews and raisin in oil|
|fry the onions too|
|Add ghee to the same oil|
|and saute some onions|
|add in ginger garlic paste|
|add some briyani leaf|
|now add the spice powders in|
|and mix well|
|add green chillies|
|saute them well|
|cover and cook|
|till they turn mushy|
|transfer this to a huge pot|
|add curd in|
|and the ground spice powder|
|add salt to this|
|add the cooked mutton along with any water in it|
|and cook on a very high heat till the masala is reduced|
|remove half of the masala to a bowl|
|spread the remaining evenly in the bottom of the pot|
|add half of the rice|
|top with lots of cilantro and mint leaves|
|add half of the fried nuts and kishmish|
|add half of the fried onions|
|pour half of the saffron milk|
|now top with the remaining half of the masala|
|add all the remaining rice|
|and some herbs|
|and your nuts|
|all the fried onions|
|pour the rest of the saffron milk|
|add a spoon of ghee|
|cover the pan with a tight lid|
|and put over a very low heat|
|when it is cooked , mix well|
Tips & Tricks
- Be careful while cooking rice, rice should be ¾ th cooked, it will take very less time so keep an eye on it.
- You can put the entire pot over a tawa on low heat if you feel that the rice will stick to the pot.
- Make the gravy thick so that it doesn't make the rice soggy.