Keralan Chilli Mutton Recipe - Mutton Chilli Roast Recipe with step wise pictures
Spicy and flavourful mutton roast which taste great with idiyappam, appam or roti. You can enjoy with rice as well.
Its been a while since i shared any mutton recipe here. Yesterday hubby bought some mutton and i made two recipes for you all. It is a keralan style chilli mutton roast and a chinese chilli mutton. Both of them turned out so good.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Chilli Mutton Roast Recipe
- Boneless Mutton - ½ kg
- Salt to taste
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
- Lemon Juice or Vinegar - 1 tblsp
- Coconut Oil - 4 tblsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small piece
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves a sprig
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
- Garlic - 6 cloves peeled
- Tomato - 2 large chopped finely
- Kashmiri Chilli powder - 1 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper Powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves a handful chopped
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- Dry Red Chillies - 5
- Take mutton, salt, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well. Take it in a pressure cooker and cook for 6 to 7 whistle. Take it off the heat and let the steam escape by itself. Set aside.
- Grind chillies and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in whole spices and curry leaves.
- Add in onions and garlic. Cook till golden.
- Add in tomatoes and chilli garlic paste and saute well. Cover and cook till tomatoes get mushy,.
- Add in all spice powders and salt.
- Stir and cook on medium heat till oil separates.
- Now add in cooked mutton and mix well.
- Cook till water dries up.
- Add in pepper and coriander leaves.
1)Take mutton in a bowl
3)Add in ginger garlic paste
4)Add in lemon juice or vinegar
6)Take it in a pressure cooker.
7)Cook till mutton is done.
8)Take chillies and garlic in a blender.
9)Puree till smooth.
10)Heat oil in a pan, add fennel seeds, cinnamon and curry leaves
11)Add in onions
12)Add in garlic cloves
13)Saute till golden brown.
14)Add in tomatoes
15)Add in chilli garlic paste
17)Cover and cook till tomatoes get mushy.
18)Now it is done.
19)Add in kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder and coriander powder.
21)Stir fry for few mins till oil leaves from the side.
22)Add in cooked mutton along with any liquid.
23)Mix well. Cook till the mosture evaporates and the curry dries up.
24)Add in pepper powder.
25)Add in coriander leaves
Usually we keralites don't add jeera powder in our recipes. It's fennel pwdr we add... just my opinion.
Can we use the same method with beef as well???😊
It turns out really very tasty..
Today we paired this with ur mutton rasam receipe... My whole family loved it