Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe with step wise pictures.
A delicious hyderabadi style chicken dum biryani which is not that complicated at all. Follow my step by step directions and you will get perfect biryani everytime.
I have made so many types of biryani, but i would say that dum biryani is the real one and has the real taste to it. I love pressure cooker biryani and one pot biryani as well but nothing can beat a dum biryani when it is properly made..I have few dum biryani recipes in my blog.
The cool part in making dum biryani is, when you are dumming the biryani, your house will be smelling like heaven. And also when you open the biryani it is just heaven. Can’t describe it in words..You can check out my other simple veg biryani and non veg biryani as well..
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Oil - 1.5 cup
- Potatoes - 2 large peeled and cubed
- Onion - 3 large sliced thinly
- Kewra Water - 1 tsp
- Rose Essence - 1 tsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1/4 cup chopped finely
- Mint Leaves - 1/4 cup chopped finely
- Ghee - 2 tblsp
- Saffron a pinch
- Milk - 3 tblsp
- Chapati Dough as needed
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Chilli powder - 2 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 4 tblsp
- Lemon Juice - 4 tblsp
- Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
- Mint Leaves - 1/2 cup chopped
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tblsp
- Green Chillies - 2 slit
FOR COOKING RICE:
- Basmati Rice - 1/2 kg
- Water lots of it
- Pepper - 1 tblsp
- Cinnamon stick - 2 stick
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 6
- Cloves - 6
- Bay Leaf - 2
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, deep fry potatoes till golden brown, drain and set aside.
- In the same oil add onions and fry till golden. Set aside 1/2 of the fried onions for topping.
- Now take chicken in a bowl, add all ingredients given for marination. Add 1/2 of the fried onions and 1 cup of the onion fried oil. Mix well and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Now take basmati rice and wash well. Soak for 30 mins.
- Now bring lots of water to a boil. Add all whole spices and salt. Once it boils, add rice and cook till it is 75% cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Now take a large pan, add the chicken in the base. top with cooked rice,
- Now top with fried potatoes, onions, coriander leaves, mint leaves, kewra water, rose essence, saffron soaked milk and ghee.
- Spread chapati dough around the edges of the pan, place a lid over it and seal the pot.
- Cook on very low heat for 40 to 45 mins.
- Now remove it from flame and let it sit for 15 mins.
- Now open the lid and mix the rice gently.
- Serve hot.
1)Heat 2 cups of oil and fry cubed potatoes.
2)Fry on medium high heat till golden brown
3)Now it is golden brown, drain and set aside.
4)Add in sliced onions and fry till golden.
5)Cook on high heat till it gets golden
6)Now it has got nice and crispy. Drain and set aside.
7)Now lets marinate the chicken.
9)Add in chilli powder and salt
10)Add in green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
11)Add in lemon juice
12)Add in coriander leaves and mint leaves
13) Add in garam masala powder
14)Add in half of the fried onions
15)Add in 1 cup of fried onion oil
16)Mix well. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
17)Now cook basmati rice. Soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Bring lots of water to a boil, add salt and whole spices. Add rice and cook till it is 75 percent cooked.
18)Drain and set aside.
19)Now take a large pot. Add chicken
20)top with cooked rice.
21)Top with coriander and mint leaves
22)Top with fried potatoes
23)Top with the remaining half of the fried onions.
24)Sprinkle kewra water and rose water
25)Add in saffron soaked milk.
26)Top with ghee
27) Make some chapati dough.
28)Apply all over the rim of the pan.
29)Place a lid on top and seal it well. Put the pan on a very very low heat for 45 mins.
30)Once 45 mins is over, let it sit for 15 mins undisturbed. Now open the lid.
31)Fluff the rice gently.