Panch Phoron Dal Recipe with step by step pictures. Delicious dal flavoured with panch phoron spice mix and taste amazing.
Panch Phoron Dal Recipe
I hope you must have made yourself a jar of that lovely panch phoron spice mix which i posted yesterday. Now on to the question, what do you do with it, there are possibly more than thousand ways of using that spice mix. One of the famous way to use it up is in some lovely dals.
Add this spice mix to your regular dals and see how the humble dal turns into a spectacular meal within seconds. I am sharing with you a flavourful dal recipe which is made with the basic, moong lentils.
This recipe is a kind of sweet, salty, sour dish. The sweetness comes from the jaggery. The sourness comes from the kokum, i added it because i bought a packet of that and was wondering what to do with that. you can easily substitute kokum with tamarind pulp. All these flavours tied together in this lovely dal to form an amazing recipe.
I made another recipe using the panch phoron spice mix, to go with this dal. I will be posting that in a couple of days. So stay tuned and let me know if you tried this.
I would love to hear your ways of using this lovely panch phoron spice.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook,Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Panch Phoron Dal Recipe | Bengali Dal Recipe
- ½ cup Split Yellow Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu
- 2 small pieces Kokum / Kodampuli or Tamarind
- 1 tbsp minced finely Ginger Garlic
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder / Manjal Podi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Jaggery / Sugar
- For Tempering:
- 1 tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 2 tbsp Panch Phoron Spice Mix Click here for recipe
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida / Kaya Podi / Hing
- 1 chopped finely Onion
- 2 chopped finely Green Chilli
- 1 spring Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp minced Ginger Garlic
- Take your moong dal and wash it well. Cover with water and let it soak for a good 30 mins.
- Now add the soaked dal into a sauce pan and cover with water.
- Add in turmeric, salt, kokum, ginger garlic and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer the flame and cook it for 20 to 30 mins till the dal is completely cooked.
- Now add in the jaggery or sugar and mix well.
- Now make the tempering. Heat ghee and add in the panch phoron spice and let it saute for 30 sec.
- Now add in assafoetida, onions, green chilli and curry leaves and give it a good stir.
- Add in ginger and garlic and saute for around 3 mins till the onions turn golden brown.
- Pour this tempering over the cooked dal and mix well.
- Serve over rice.
Panch Phoron Dal step by step picture
|Take all your ingredients|
|Panch Phoron Spice Mix( Click for recipe)|
I have heard a lot about panch phoron, but never tried this. Looks yummmm..
Delicious and comforting panch phoron dal. lovely preparation.
wow... those spices r new fr me... seems to be so flavorful
You rock! appreciate your patience in getting stepwise pics arthi!
I was eager to know what is Panch Phoron. This looks good and I am sure it might have been awesome.
Nice to know about the paanch phoren, thanks for sharing a lovely recipe.
i tried this dish it came out well