Fish Curry without Coconut with step by step pictures. Basic fish curry made without coconut.
Sometimes when you are up against time, making a fish curry seams like pulling a mountain. It's all because of a simple coconut. You have to do lots of work to that, starting from crack opening the coconut, grate it, grind it, it is tons of work. So when you are in those period of time try out this simple tangy fish curry which uses only onions and tomatoes.
This curry has simple spices and it is cooked in coconut oil, which gives lots of flavour to it. One more tip is you can make the curry a day ahead, because it taste so good the next day, the flavours will develop and gets into the fish. So try this out and tell me how it turned out.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Fish Curry Recipe (without Coconut)
- Fish Pieces - 500 grams any firm white fleshed will do, I used Malabar Trevally/ Paarai
- Tamarind Pulp - 3 tbsp Click here for recipe
- Onion - 1 large sliced thinly
- Tomato- 1 large chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- For Seasoning:
- Coconut Oil - 1 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi - ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 1
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Take a earthernware kadai or any pan and heat it up. Add coconut oil in it and let it heat up too.
- Once it gets hot. Add the seasoning ingredients and let them sizzle for a min or so.
- Add in onions and saute for 5 mins till they turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Now add in the spice powders along with salt and let them bloom in the oil for 30 sec.
- Throw in the tomatoes and let the cook for 5 mins till they turn mushy.
- Now add in the tamarind pulp and some water(around2-3 cups) and bring it to a boil.
- Now add in the fish pieces and let it cook covered for 15-20 mins.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice.
Fish Curry Recipe with Step by step pictures
|Take all your ingredients
|Heat some coconut oil in a kadai
|add mustard, fenugreek, red chilli and curry leaves
|Add in the onions
|and saute well
|add in red chilli powder, pepper, salt, turmeric
|and mix well
|and in tomatoes
|add in tamarind extract
|and bring it to a boil
|add in fish pieces
|cover with a lid
|and let it cook for a while