Fish Curry without Coconut with step by step pictures. Basic fish curry made without coconut.
Fish Curry without Coconut
Sometimes when you are up against time, making a fish curry seams like pulling a mountain. It's all because of a simple coconut. You have to do lots of work to that, starting from crack opening the coconut, grate it, grind it, it is tons of work. So when you are in those period of time try out this simple tangy fish curry which uses only onions and tomatoes.
This curry has simple spices and it is cooked in coconut oil, which gives lots of flavour to it. One more tip is you can make the curry a day ahead, because it taste so good the next day, the flavours will develop and gets into the fish. So try this out and tell me how it turned out.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook,Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Fish Curry Recipe (without Coconut)
- Fish Pieces - 500 grams any firm white fleshed will do, I used Malabar Trevally/ Paarai
- Tamarind Pulp - 3 tbsp Click here for recipe
- Onion - 1 large sliced thinly
- Tomato- 1 large chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- For Seasoning:
- Coconut Oil - 1 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi - ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 1
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Take a earthernware kadai or any pan and heat it up. Add coconut oil in it and let it heat up too.
- Once it gets hot. Add the seasoning ingredients and let them sizzle for a min or so.
- Add in onions and saute for 5 mins till they turn translucent and slightly golden.
- Now add in the spice powders along with salt and let them bloom in the oil for 30 sec.
- Throw in the tomatoes and let the cook for 5 mins till they turn mushy.
- Now add in the tamarind pulp and some water(around2-3 cups) and bring it to a boil.
- Now add in the fish pieces and let it cook covered for 15-20 mins.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice.
Fish Curry Recipe with Step by step pictures
|Take all your ingredients|
|Heat some coconut oil in a kadai|
|add mustard, fenugreek, red chilli and curry leaves|
|Add in the onions|
|and saute well|
|add in red chilli powder, pepper, salt, turmeric|
|and mix well|
|and in tomatoes|
|add in tamarind extract|
|and bring it to a boil|
|add in fish pieces|
|cover with a lid|
|and let it cook for a while|
This is Quiet Tempting To Try Out. My Mom has her regular method of cooking in Orrisa style though!! But i would like to try this out 🙂 Btw i have never used coconut oil ever, so can i know if we get seperate cooking coconut oil in local markets of chennai? :-/
am drooling ...luv it!
B-O-O-O-O Halloween Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS - Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series
Slurp,mouthwatering here, love this tangy fish curry.
can smell the nice aroma..great clicks
Latest Step by Step Recipe Green Chilli Chutny
Latest Step by Step Recipe Coconut Pachadi
Siris Food Flavours
tempting fish curry to try Aarthi...
Inviting to join Ongoing Events
Let's Party - Prasadam Special
Taste Of Tropics - Authentic Indian Platter
This simple yet delicious meal cooked with coconut oil is definitely yummy! I love cooking fish in coconut milk but since it is quite tedious, I'll probably try this tip. Thanks for sharing!
I made this yesterday (I bought tamarind paste and coconut oil specifically so I could try out more of your recipes!). And I got a boneless fish fillet this time 🙂 The curry was quite spicy, but not as tangy as I thought it would be. I used 3 tbsp of tamarind pulp, but I really wouldn't mind adding more. Also: this curry comes with a lot of sauce (as shown in the pictures), so you need a lot of rice to soak it all up!
Ooooooo its was finger licking recipe
Drool worthy fish curry.. is this method fine for all kind of fishes?
@Ranjani Rajyes u can use any fish