Where to Buy Baking Ingredients- Baking Basics for Beginners
I have been getting so many mails regarding baking basics and ingredients. So thought of creating this post to show you what all basic ingredients you need for baking and where you can locate it.
I have tried my level best to source most of the ingredients and link it. If you find anything missing just let me know.
Measuring Cups & Spoons:
I get lots of questions regarding measurements in my baking recipes. Many of you ask "you have written 1 cup flour as 120 grams and 1 cup sugar as 200 grams" why mam?
The answer is "each ingredient weight is different" Flour is lighter in weight and sugar is heavier in weight. So when you measure it in a cup it will weigh different.
This is the measuring cup which i use. If you use this cup you dont have to worry about the weight. You can get 1 cup measurements which is usually 240 ml. You can use that cup in my baking recipes as well.
But these are the basic measurements
- 1 cup = 250 ml
- ½ cup = 125 ml
- ⅓ cup = 80 ml
- ¼ cup = 60 ml
- 1 tbsp = 15 ml
- ½ tbsp = 7.5 ml
- 1 tsp = 5 ml
- ½ tsp = 2.5 ml
This is the page which i use to convert ingredients weights to measures.
You need a proper mixing bowl, whisk, spatula, hand blenders(for certain recipes), offset spatula
- Use a wide mouth sturdy mixing bowl preferably glass or good plastic.
- A sturdy whisk is a must needed one.
- Spatula is a must have one for folding and scraping the bowl.
- Hand blender is very useful when creaming butter and sugar along with eggs. It will make the process much easier and makes the cake very lighter.
IF YOU ARE TAKING BAKING SERIOUSLY & WANT TO INVEST IN A GOOD MIXER, THEN YOU CAN GO FOR THE NEVER FAIL & EVERY BAKERS DREAM MACHINE " THE KITCHEN AID"
Baking Tins & Pans:
- You need a basic round and square baking tin for cakes
- You need a loaf pan for making breads
- A baking tray which usually come with oven, else you can get a tray
- Muffin pans for making cupcakes & muffins.
- Tart pans
- Silicon pan for puddings
- Ramekins for certain recipes like chocolate lava pudding or caramel pudding
- Bundt cake pans for making your cakes look fancy.
- Microwave Safe Coffee Mugs for Mug Cakes
Liners & Other stuffs:
- Parchment paper is a much needed one. Use for lining bottom of cake pans, cookie trays
- Aluminium foil, cling wrap.
- Cupcake liners
- Cookie Cutters
- Piping Bags & Nozzles for decorating cakes
- Vanilla Essence - Main flavouring in all baking recipes
- Cocoa Powder - For chocolate flavour, always use good quality cocoa powder
- Dark Chocolate Bar - for baking and making chocolates
- Milk Chocolate Bar - for baking and making chocolates
- Baking Powder - To help rise cakes
- Baking Soda - to makes cakes rise and get soft
- Gelatin - for setting puddings
- Agar Agar - vegetarian agent to set puddings
- Demerrara Sugar - to give crunch for cakes, mainly use on top of cakes & muffins
- Brown Sugar - gives nice caramely flavour to cakes & cookies
- Condensed milk - used as egg substitute for cakes
- Butter (Unsalted butter is best for baking, available in any big super market in fridge section)
- Yogurt which is Curd (Recipe here)
- Fresh Cream (Amul cream available in any big super market in fridge section)
- Whipping cream powder - for topping or frosting cakes
- Dark Chocolate chips - for making cookies and cakes
- White chocolate chips - for making cookies and cakes
- Milk chocolate chips -for making cookies and cakes
- Butterscotch chips - for making cookies and cakes
- Olive Oil - as substitute for butter in cakes
- Cooking Oil for baking as substitute for butter in cakes
- Mozzarella Cheese & Cheddar Cheese (available in any big super market in fridge section)
- Icing Sugar - used in frosting
- Caster Sugar - Since the granules are fine it melts in cakes better
- Dry Yeast - for making breads (Store yeast in a air tight container in fridge or freezer always)
- Custard powder - used as egg substitute
- Pecan - added to give crunch in cakes
- Walnuts - added to give crunch in cakes
- Karupatti / Palm Jaggery - used as sugar substitute
- Seedless Raisans - for fruit cakes
- Food colours for cakes, cookies and other baking recipes
- Homemade Self Rising Flour - Recipe here
- Homemade Icing Sugar - Recipe here
- Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk - Recipe here
- Homemade Dulce de leche - Recipe here
- Homemade Sour Cream - Recipe here
- Homemade Vanilla Sugar - Recipe here
- Homemade Vanilla Bean Paste - Recipe here
- Homemade Breadcrumbs - Recipe here
- Homemade Yogurt - Recipe here
- Homemade Coconutmilk - Recipe here
- Homemade Soy Milk - Recipe here
- Homemade Cream cheese - Recipe here
- Homemade Mascarpone Cheese - Recipe here
- Homemade Oats Milk - Recipe here
- Homemade Desiccated Coconut - Recipe here
- Homemade Candied Peel - Recipe here
- Homemade Hung Curd - Recipe here
- Homemade Paneer - Recipe here
Disclaimer: The links mentioned here are affiliate links. This is not a paid post.