Whole Wheat Idli Recipe
Healthy and highly nutritious whole wheat idli can be served with chutney, sambar. The idlies are super soft and spongy and is rich in fibre.
- Soak the grains for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- Grind the urad dal in a blender till smooth and fluffy. Add little water at a time and keep mixing and keep grinding. Don't add too much water.
- Grind urad dal till it gets light and fluffy which results in soft idlies.
- You can grind them in a wet grinder instead of blender.
- I usually soak the grains in the morning and grind the grains at night. Then leave to ferment overnight and use the batter the next day.
- Grind the grains by adding very little water, the batter has to be little thick for soft idlies.
- I used a traditional cloth idli steamer for steaming the idlies. If you are using regular idli cooker, grease the plates with little oil and steam cook.
- Store the idlies in a hot box to keep them warm.
This wheat idlies can be served with
- Cooked Idlies can be stored in fridge for upto 2 days. Warm them in microwave or steam cook them in steamer and serve hot.
- Leftover idlies can be kept at room temp for 10 to 12 hours.
- Store the batter in fridge for upto 3 to 4 days.
The same batter can be used to make dosa too.