Kumarakom Fish Curry Recipe – Kumarakom Meen Curry Recipe with step wise pictures.
Super spicy and tangy fish curry which is one of my favorite. I was inspired this from our kovalam trip and this turned out to be perfect.
Super spicy curry made with fish taste really good with rice. This is a kumarakom speciality and it don’t need any coconut.
I have shared so many variation of fish curry in this blog, this is another one. It is made using paarai meen and the recipe is very simple. The flavour and taste for this comes from coconut oil and the small onions which we are using.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
I had this kumarakom fish curry on our the leela, kovalam trip. This is the picture of it.
FOR MARINATING FISH:
- Fish - 500 grams
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil - 5 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam / Methi - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies - 2
- Curry Leaves a handful
- Ginger - 1 tblsp chopped finely
- Garlic - 1 tblsp chopped finely
- Shallots / Small Onion - 1 cup chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 2 slit
- Tomato - 1 chopped finely
- Kashmiri Chilli powder - 3 tblsp
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Kodampuli / Kokum - 4 to 5 piece
- Water - as needed
- Thick Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Mix fish with salt, chilli powder, turmeric and set aside.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water for 10 mins.
- Heat oil in a earthern ware pot. Add mustard, dry red chillies, fenugreek, cumin, curry leaves and let them sizzle.
- Add in ginger, garlic and fry for a min.
- Add shallots, chillies and saute for a min.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Now add in all spice powders and mix well.
- Add in tamarind mix and saute for 5 mins.
- Add in coconut milk and mix well. Cook for 5 mins.
- Add in fish pieces and little water. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 mins on low heat.
- Once fish is done, take it off the heat and let it stay for 1 hour before serving.
1)Take fish pieces in a bowl
2)Add in chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
3)Mix well and leave it aside.
4)Heat coconut oil in a earthern ware pot
5)Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds
6)Add in dry red chillies and curry leaves
7)Add in ginger and garlic
8)Add in chopped shallots
9)Saute for a 5 mins
11)Add turmeric powder
13)Add in tomatoes
14)Mix well and add in kashmiri chilli powder and normal chilli powder
15)Stir fry on low heat for 1 min
17)Mix well for 2 mins
18)Add in thick coconut milk
20)Cook this for 5 mins
21)Add in fish pieces
22)Mix well. Add little extra water if needed
23)Cover and cook on low heat for 7 to 10 mins