Chettinad Biryani Recipe – Chettinad Samba Biryani Recipe with step wise pictures.
Delicious chettinad style samba biryani which has yummy coconut aroma and taste to it. It is spicy and taste yummy with raita.
I used to make this chettinad biryani often when i was studying college. I totally forgot about this recipe now. Last week when i was going through my recipe diary i saw this recipe and all those memories flashed before my eyes. I made this immediately and it taste as yummy as it was before. This biryani gets it taste when it is made using seera samba rice. So try to make it with that rice if you can, else you can make using normal basmati rice.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Oil - 4 tblsp
- Ghee - 2 tblsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 piece
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 5
- Cloves / Krambu- 5
- Pandan Leaf - 1
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Onion - 2 large sliced
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 3 tblsp
- Tomato - 4 chopped
- Green Chillies - 2
- Chilli Powder - 2 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Seera Samba Rice - 2 cups
- Curd - 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cup
- Potato - 2 peeled and cubed
- Curry leaves a handful
- Coconut - 3/4 cup
- Coriander Leaves - 1/2 cup
- Mint Leaves - 1/2 cup
- Grind ingredients given to grind to a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add whole spices and let them sizzle.
- Add in onions and cook till light golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add tomatoes,chillies and cook till mushy.
- Add salt, spice powders and mix well.
- Add coconut masala, curd and mix well.
- Add in potato, curry leaves, seera samba rice and mix well.
- Add water coconut milk and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Cover and simmer the flame and cook for 1 whistle.
- Let the steam escape by itself.
- Open and add ghee.
- Mix well.
1)First lets grind the masala. Take coconut in a blender
2)Add coriander leaves and mint leaves
3)Grind to a smooth paste
4)heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add whole spices
5)Add in onions
6)Cook till golden. I added a brinji leaf (pandan leaf) too
7)Add in ginger garlic paste
8)Add tomatoes and chillies
9)Cook till tomatoes get mushy
10)Add salt and spice powders
12)Add coconut masala
16)Add curry leaves
18)Add drained samba rice
20)Add coconut milk
22)Bring it to a boil
23)Cook for 1 whistle.
24)Add in ghee