Dal Roti Recipe with step by step pictures. Simple moong dal for roti which is flavoured with tomatoes, garlic, coriander leaves.
Wow, what a climate is here in my place.It is raining heavily and getting colder each day. I am loving it a lot. I really love to have hot hot foods these time, like hot lemon tea, piping hot rice with curries and stuff like that. Made a sizzling lunch yesterday, piping hot rice, chicken curry, pepper chicken and kothu kozhi. YUM right. Don't worry i have the pictures taken for you. I will post those recipes soon.
Now coming back to todays post.It is one of the simplest but tastiest dal you could ever imagine. I call it dal roti because this dal is best served or i have had it only with chapati or roti. It marries perfectly with roti. It taste heavenly too. I learned this recipe from my grandma, because when ever she cook chapati (which is long time back because now she is so weak to roll that things out), she makes this dal. It has really fresh ingredients thrown together. Make sure you add a good amount of coriander leaves at the end, that brings nice flavour to the dal. And don't forget to season this dal with a good amount of cumin seeds toasted in ghee. That too gives a final little touch to this.
I hope you will try this out and let me know how it turned out.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Dal Roti Recipe | Dal for Roti Recipe
- Yellow Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 large chopped
- Tomatoes - 2 large chopped
- Green Chilli - 5 or to taste
- Garlic - 10 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - 1 tsp
- Ghee / Clarified Butter - 1 tblspn
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tblspn
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro - a big handful chopped
- Take washed dal, onions, tomatoes, green chilli, garlic, salt, turmeric powder in a pressure cooker.
- Add in 3 cups of water and close the pressure cooker. Cook for 3 whistle, simmer the flame and cook for 5 mins. Switch off the flame and let the steam go all by itself.
- Add more water if needed and boil the dal.
- Now make the seasoning by heating ghee in a kadai, add in cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Pour this over the dal and mix well. Throw in a big handful of coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve this with roti.
Dal Roti Recipe Step by Step Pictures