Elai Paniyaram Recipe with step by step pictures. This recipe is a rice parcels filled in a dough made of rice flour, with sweet fillings, steamed in banana leaf.
I made this Paniyaram along with Therali Kolukattai on ganesh chaturthi, but never got a chance to post it till today. This one is going to be a long post, so bare with me.
This recipe is from my grand mother, it is like a very traditional recipe in our place. This is a compulsary one on ganesh chaturthi. Traditionally we make it in the heart shaped leaf which is known as arasa maram leaf. But it is hard to find, so you can make this in plain banana leaf. But for people who cannot get banana leaf, you can make it in aluminium foil too.
The outer layer will be very thin and chewy, which contains the sweet coconuty filling. It is simply amazing. There is one more stuffing which is made from jack fruit which goes into this. I will post that in another post. That one is my favorite.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook,Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Elai Paniyaram Recipe
- Banana Leaf / Arasamara Ilai - as needed
- For Filling:
- 1 cup grated Jaggery / Sarkarai
- ½ cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder / Yelakai
- For Dough:
- 2 cups Rice Flour
- Water as needed
- Oil as needed
- Take jaggery in a kadai add water to it and mix well. Heat it up till it is melted.Strain it and pour it back in to the kadai.
- Add coconut to it and mix well.
- Now add in cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat it till it gets thick. Remove and set aside.
- Heat some water till it boil.
- Take rice flour in a bowl, Add in hot water and mix well till it forms into a smooth dough.
- Now take your leaf, and grease it slightly with some oil.
- Place a small ball of dough in it and flatten it thinly. Keep a tsp of filling in the center and fold it over with the leaf.
- Place this in the steamer and steam it for 15 mins.
Elai Paniyaram Recipe Step by Step
|All your ingredients|
|Take jaggery in a kadai|
|Add a dash of water|
|Melt it down|
|Bring it to a boil|
|All jaggery is melted|
|Look all the sediments|
|Take it back into the pan|
|Add in coconut|
|Add a dash of cardamom powder|
|And mix well|
|It will get thick and yummy|
|Remove it to a bowl|
|Now make the dough..Heat water|
|Take rice flour in a bowl|
|Add hot water in that|
|And make into a dough|
|Now take your leafs..|
|Place it on a plate|
|Grease it lightly with some oil|
|place a small ball over it|
|flatten it thinly|
|spoon some filling in the middle|
|fold it over|
|Place it in a steamer|
|After it is steamed|
Lavanya T R
Grandmoms recipes are always the best...we make this in Andhra Pradesh as well but I dont remember what it is called
Latest Post - VLCC Ayurvedic Henna Review
it will be more tasty if u add moong dal in filling..
very traditional recipe ,loved it
Arthi,instead of vellam,can we use karuppatti.
I don't have vellam
@Sarithaa SamyI have never seen people using karupatti. If you want you can use it, but the taste will be completely different