Maa Vilakku Maavu Recipe – Maa Vilakku Recipe with step wise pictures.
Traditional rice flour lamp or maa vilakku made during karthigai deepam or festive occasions like aadi velli, thai masam, vilakku poojai.
When we were little we used to attend vilakku poojai in near by temple every month. We used to make this maa vilakku during that time and worship vilakku(lamp) by doing flower archanai. This is a tradition followed till now. But now i dont go temple often because of time issue.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Roasted Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Jaggery - 3/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 tblsp
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame Oil for lighting
- Take rice flour, jaggery and cardamom in a blender and powder it finely.
- Add ghee and knead to a soft dough.
- Shape it into a ball, use a cup to make a dent.
- Fill with sesame oil, put a vilakku tiri and light it.
- You can make this for any festive occasion like karthigai deepam, aadi velli, thai masam, vilakku poojai.
1)Take roasted rice flour in a blender
2)Add in grated jaggery
3)Add in cardamom powder.
4)Blend till combined.
5)Take it in a bowl.
6)Add in ghee
7)Rub it into the flour
8)Add more ghee and combined.
9)Mix till dough is formed.
10)Just like this.
11)Shape till the dough is smooth.
13)Press on the top using a cup.
14) So a small dent is formed.
15)Decorate it with turmeric and kum kum.
16)Fill with ghee or sesame oil.
17)Put a vilaku tiri