Pazhaya Sadam & Uppum Puliyum - Nutritious Breakfast Recipe with step wise pictures.
Healthy and very nutritious recipe made using leftover rice. This fermented rice porridge had with the tangy, spicy tamarind pachadi is amazing.
This is infact not a recipe at all. This is the most common way when we enjoy our leftover rice on hot summer days. Right now it is raining her but few weeks back summer was at its peak here. At those time hubby demanded me to make this for his breakfast daily. So what i do it i take a big spoonful of rice and put it in the pot, cover with water and leave it overnight. Next day i just add salt.This is such a cooling dish, you can almost instantly feel the soothing effect of it.
Leftover Day Old Fermented Rice Porridge or Pazhaya Sadam - Pazhaya Kanji - Fermented Kanji - Neeragaram. Which ever way you call this, it is such a healthy recipe.
1)It is a natural coolant.
2)It helps remove toxins in the body.
3)Builds immunity in body.
4)Makes body shiny.
5)Builds stamina, strength.
You can also have with some raw peeled shallots, green chillies or pickles or even fried curd chilles..Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Pazhaya Sadam & Uppum Puliyum -
- Leftover Cooked Rice - as needed
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
FOR UPPUM PULIYUM:
- Tamarind - 1 small lime size
- Water - ½ cup
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 10 chopped finely
- Dry Red Chilli - 4 to 5
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil - 1 tblsp
- Take your leftover rice and add water to it till the rice is completely covered.Let it sit at room temp overnight.
- Take next day, take the rice and add salt to it, mash it well using hands and add more water as needed. This is pazhaya sadam.
- For Uppum puliyum, take tamarind and soak in some water for 10 mins. Squeeze and remove the pulp. Strain it.
- Now add in salt, onions and mix well.
- Take dry red chillies and roast it in open flame till it is toasted. Crush it well and add to the tamarind mix.
- Add coconut oil and mix well.
- Serve with pazhaya sadam.
1)Take tamarind in a bowl.
2)Add water and soak it for 10 mins. Squeeze and remove all the pulp.
4)Take the tamarind pulp in a bowl
6)Add chopped sambar onions
7)Take some red chillies
8)Toast till it is charred
9)Take it in a chopping board and crush it
10) This adds so much flavour
11)Add it in
13)Add coconut oil
14)Mix well. Done.
15)I soaked cooked rice in some water overnight.
16)Next morning take it in a bowl.
20)Serve with tamarind mix