Rajma Chawal Recipe with step by step pictures.
Chapati, naan or rice is a important part in a indian diet. Thinking what to make to go along with chapati or rice is one big task. I normally make mixed veg kurma, paneer curry or dal curry for rice. Sometimes i feel too lazy and have roti with pickle and yogurt. Sometimes with leftover curry from lunch.
Rajma curry is my favourite, i love to have it with either rice or roti. Specially it taste amazing with plain cooked basmati rice. You can make this curry mild or spicy or extra spicy by increasing the chilli level. This curry is super easy to make, all you have to blend few ingredients and cook with few spices. You will get a delicious curry in few minutes. This curry can be stored for few days in fridge, actually the flavours will increase as it stands.
The main thing you have to remember is cooking the rajma really well. Normally it takes 3 to 4 whistle for a soaked rajma. You have to soak rajma for atleast 8 hours or overnight. If you are cooking it in a regular pot, cover the rajma with water and bring it to a boil, simmer for 45 mins to 1 hour or till tender. So it is better to invest in a pressure cooker for fast cooking. In a pressure cooker it takes under 15 mins to cook.
This rajma curry is one recipe which you can have with either rice or roti. The curry is not at all complicated, it has onion tomato base and few spices. thats it. I have shared a rajma curry recipe in my blog. Since rajma has high protein content it is important to include it in your diet atleast once a week.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Rajma Chawal Recipe
- Rajma/ Kidney Beans - 2 cups
- Oil or Ghee - 2 tblsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 2 small piece
- Cardamom - 2
- Cloves - 3
- Onion - 2 large chopped
- Tomato - 4 large chopped
- Ginger - 1 tblspn chopped
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves a handful chopped
- Soak rajma overnight. Drain and add it to pressure cooker. Cover with water. Pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistle, simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam escape all by itself.
- Take onions, tomatoes and ginger in a blender. Puree till smooth.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add whole spices and let them sizzle.
- Add in pureed masala and mix well.
- Cook that for few mins till the raw smell leaves from it.
- Add in spice powders, salt and mix well.
- Add in cooked rajma with water and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 mins till oil separates.
- Serve over rice.
1)Soak rajma overnight, drain it and add it in pressure cooker. Cover with water. Cover and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistle. Simmer for 10 mins. Turn off the flame and let the steam escape all by itself. Open the cooker and set aside.
2)Take onions, tomatoes and ginger in a blender
3)Puree the mixture till smooth. Set aside.
4)Heat oil or ghee in a nonstick kadai.
5)Add in cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom
6)Let the spices sizzle for few mins.
7)Add in pureed masala
8)Mix well and cook for few mins.
9)Cook till the raw smell leaves away.
10)Add in chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
11)Cook that for few minutes till the raw smell leaves away.
12)Add in salt to taste and mix well.
13)Add in garam masala powder
14)Mix well and cook for few mins.
15)Add in cooked rajma along with cooking liquid.
16)Mix well, simmer for 10 to 15 mins
17)Cook till oil separates.
18)Serve over rice.