Boiled Raisan Loaf Cake Recipe – War Cake Recipe
This is called War Cake because it was made in Canada during world war 2 and was shipped out. Some recipes needs to be sit for a week for the fruits to mature, but this one can be sliced in a day.
Boiled raisin cake is a type of raisin cake whereby various ingredients are first boiled, after which the batter is placed in cake pans then baked. It is sometimes prepared with the omission of some standard cake ingredients, such as butter, eggs or milk. Boiled raisin cake may have a moist consistency.The cake dates back to the time of the American Civil War (1861–1865), when it was prepared in frontier areas using the Dutch oven.Basic versions during this time were typically prepared using only raisins, sugar and a fat, such as vegetable shortening or lard.Boiled raisin cake has been referred to as a type of war cake.
I had a bunch of raisans lying in the cabinet, i bought a whole lot of seedless raisans to bake plum cake for christmas. I had some extras, so i looked online for raisan cake and came across this recipe. It was very easy to make so i tried immediately. The cake turned out so moist, the raisan in the cake was so plump and juicy.
This cake is a make ahead cake, you have to bake it a day before you want to slice it, this way the raisans will mature and be very juicy.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 2 cups
- Butter - ⅓ cup
- Brown Sugar - 1 cup (packed)
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Nutmeg - ½ tsp
- Ginger - ½ tsp
- Baking Soda - 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Seedless Black Raisans - 2 cups
- Water - 1½ cup
- Orange Juice or Water - ½ cup
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take raisans, water, brown sugar, butter, spices in a sauce pan. Bring it to a boil and boil for 5 mins.
- Take it off the heat and cool it for 15 mins.
- Now add in flour, baking soda,salt,orange juice and mix well.
- Pour it in the parchment lined baking loaf pan and bake it for 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool completely.
- Wrap it well and leave to stand for 1 day or overnight.
- Nextday slice and serve.
1)Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2)Now lets prepare the boiled mix. Take brown sugar in a sauce pan.
3)Add seedless raisans
6)Heat it up.
7)Add in cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg
8)Boil for 5 mins.
9)Take it off the heat and cool it for 10 mins.
10)Add all purpose flour
11)Add in baking soda
13)Add in vanilla
15)Now add in some orange juice or water to thin down the batter
17) Pour it in the pan
18) Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour. Leave the cake to stand for one day before slicing.
19) I let the cake stand for 1 day and sliced the next day, i got clean slices.