Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe with step wise pictures
Super delicious goan chicken xacuti recipe which taste great with idli, dosa, roti. It specially goes well with goan pao bread.
When i was looking for dinner inspiration online, i came across a picture of a spicy chicken curry served with some pav rolls. I got so inspired from that so i made it almost immediately. I served this with pav rolls.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Goan Chicken Xacuti Recipe
- Chicken - 1 kg cut into small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 4 tblsp
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
FOR GREEN CHUTNEY:
- Coriander Leaves - 1 cup
- Green Chillies - 2
- Lemon Juice - 2 tblsp
FOR ROASTING & GRINDING:
- Oil - 1 tsp + 1 tsp
- Coconut - 1 cup grated
- Garlic - 8 cloves
- Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Dry Red Chillies - 4 to 5
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper - 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tsp
- Ajwain / Carom Seeds / Omam - 1 tsp
- Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus / Kasa kasa - 2 tblsp
- Cloves / Krambu - 5
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 stick
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 5
- Nutmeg - ¼ tsp
- Tamarind - 1 lemon size
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Start Anise - 2
- Grind together ingredients for green chutney and set aside.
- Take chicken in a bowl, add salt and green chutney and mix well. Set aside for 30 mins
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add whole spices except powdered spices and coconut. Toast till lightly golden. Add in spice powders and mix well. Remove to a blender.
- In the same pan add in coconut and roast till golden. Remove the blender and grind to a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and cook till golden.
- Add chicken and saute for 5 mins.
- Add ground masala and water. Mix well.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 30 to 40 mins till oil separates and chicken is cooked.
- Remove and serve.
1)Take chicken in a bowl
2)Add salt and green paste made using grinding coriander leaves, green chillies and lemon juice
3)Mix well and set aside.
4)Take all roasting spices
5)Take all ingredients in a pan with little oil
6)Roast on low heat till golden
7)Add poppy seeds
8)Add ginger and garlic
9)Saute till roasted.
10)Add coriander powder
11)Add kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder
13)Remove to a blender
14)In the same pan, add little extra oil
17)Roast them till golden brown
18)Add to the blender
19)Add tamarind paste
20)Puree till smooth
21)Heat oil in a pan, add in finely chopped onions
22)Saute till golden
24)Saute them well
25)Add in the ground masala
26)Mix well. Add more water if needed. Add salt to taste
27)Cook till chicken is done and oil separates on top.