Last Updated on November 20, 2020
Puli Sevai Recipe - Tamarind Sevai Recipe with step wise pictures.
Quick and easy breakfast or lunch option made using rice sevai. You can use leftover idiyappam too. This is great to pack in lunchbox or as a travel food.
I have never tried my hands on storebought sevai, even though i have seen them in super markets. I have never purchased them. But last time i thought of picking a packet to try. On that breakfast i made three types of sevai upma. I made tomato sevai, plain sevai and sweet sevai. Hubby loved the sevai and lot and told me to make these quite often. So here you go with the tomato sevai recipe.
Puli Sevai Recipe - Tamarind Sevai Recipe
- Rice Sevai - 1 packet
For Tamarind Mix:
- Gingelly Oil – 1 cup
- Tamarind – 1 large apple size
- Dry Red Chillies – 10
- Chana Dal / Kadalai Paruppu – ½ cup
- Peanuts – ½ cup
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu – ¼ cup
- Curry leaves 2 big handful
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
For Roasting & Grinding:
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies – 20
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / Vendayam – 1 tsp
- Take tamarind and soak it in water for 15 mins. Squeeze and extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, dry roast chillies and fenugreek seeds on low heat. Now take this in a blender and powder them.
- Now heat gingelly oil in a kadai. Add in peanut, chana dal and fry till golden.
- Add in urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida and fry for few more mins.
- Add in dry red chillies and fry for a min.
- Add in tamarind water and cook that down till it thickens.
- Now add in the spice powders and salt and mix well. Cook till it gets pretty dry and oil separates from it.
- Now you can cool this down and store it in a air tight container in fridge.
- Cook sevai as per package directions. You can use idiyappam as well.
- When you need. Mix this in some cooked rice or sevai and toss well.
1)You can use any store bought sevai. I prefer this one.
2)Heat water in a sauce pan, Add salt
3)Add in sevai and cook as per package directions
4)Drain and set aside.
5)Take some rice sevai in a pan.
6)Add in puliogare paste