Smoked Eggplant Raita Recipe – Baingan Raita Recipe with step wise pictures.
Smoky and cooling eggplant raita which goes well with biryani, pulao or even some hot phulkas, I loved the smoky taste of the dish and it taste so refreshing too.
I wanted to make this dish for quite a long time. I have made it before but i didn’t take pictures. Finally i made it few days back and it turns out super good. This is a smoked eggplant raita, i have one more version which is normal sliced and fried eggplant which i will share very soon.
Whenever you make any spicy dishes, the perfect cooling company for it will be raita..This raita i made with apples and it is one of my favourite. This is great had on its own as well.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Eggplant - 1
- Yogurt / Curd - 1 to 2 cups
- Green Chillies - 1 chopped finely
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 1
- Adsafoetida / Hing / Kaya podi a pinch
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Take eggplant and roast it on flame till it is cooked on all sides. keep flipping and keep cooking,
- Remove it and cool it down. Peel off the skin and chop into very tiny pieces.
- Now take it in a bowl. Add yogurt, salt, onions, chillies and mix well.
- Now make seasoning, heat oil and add all ingredients and let them sizzle.
- Pour this over the raita and mix well.
- Serve with pulao.
1)Lets roast the eggplant in open flame.
2)Keep rotating and flipping it over till it is roasted completely.
3)Now it is nicely roasted on all sides.
4)Remove it and cool it down. Now peel off the skin.
5)Chop it into small pieces.
6)Take the eggplant in a bowl.
7)Add in chopped onions.
8)Add in chopped green chillies.
9)Add in salt to taste.
11)Add in thick yogurt
13)Now lets make the seasoning. Heat oil in a pan, add urad dal and fry till golden brown.
14)Add in mustard seeds
15)Add in dry red chillies
16)Add a dash of asafoetida
17)Add in curry leaves
18)Pour the seasoning over the raita