Amritsari Chole Recipe – Amritsari Chana Masala with step wise pictures. Delicious amritsari chole masala which is dark in colour. This taste so delicious with battura or roti.
I wanted to try a dark coloured chole masala in which we use tea bags. Finally made it few days back and enjoyed it with roti. The chole had so much flavour and tasted delicious. This time i used chana masala to get the real taste of the chana.
This is a quick version of chana masala. I added some basic spices and masalas and taste just yummy.This is a simple curry which taste really delicious. It is simple to make and goes great with roti, chapati, phulka, ghee rice or pulao.
I made some black tea, strained it and used that in this recipe. If you have those tea bags, throw few when cooking chana in the pressure cooker. The more tea bags you add the more black your chana will be. But dont use too much, else your chana will be bitter.
Hope you will give this try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Chana / Chole - 500 grams
- Black Tea Bag - 5
- Salt to taste
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Black Cardamom - 4
- Green Cardamom - 46
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Onions - 2 large chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 3 chopped
- Ginger - 1 tblspn chopped
- Tomato - 4 chopped finely
- Chana Masala Powder - 2 to 4 tblsp
- Chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves a handful
- Soak chana in water overnight. drain and add it to pressure cooker, Add in water, tea bags, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin. Now pressure cook for 5 whistle. Simmer the flame for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam escape all by itself.
- Take a ladleful of chana in a blender and puree till smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in onions, chillies and ginger and mix well.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy,
- Add in spice powders, salt and mix well.
- Add in cooked chana with the liquid. Add the pureed chana and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Add coriander leaves.
1)If you have tea bags you can use 3 to 4 tea bags. I made some strong black tea.
2)Take soaked drained chana in a pressure cooker
3)Add in salt
4)Add in few black cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds
5)Add in some green cardamom
6)Add in the black tea
7)Now pressure cook for 5 whistle. Simmer the flame for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam escape all by itself.
8)Now the chana is done
9)Mash it to check whether it is cooked or not.
10)Take a handful of blender and puree till smooth
12)Heat oil in a pan
13)Add in chopped onions, green chillies and ginger
14)Saute for few mins
15)Cook till onions turn golden brown
16)Now the onions are golden
17)Add in tomatoes
18)Saute for few mins
19)Cover and cook till mushy
20)Add in chana masala powder
21)Add in chilli powder and coriander powder
22)Add in salt
23)Add in cooked chana along with water
24)Add in chana puree
26)Cover and simmer for 10 mins
27)Now it is done
28)Add in coriander leaves