TIPS & TRICKS FOR PERFECT RASGULLAS:
Don't worry if your rasgullas are not perfect, You can always use them to make rasmalai.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
VIDEO RECIPE FOR RASGULLAS:
Rasgulla Recipe / Spongy Rasgulla Recipe
- Full Fat Milk - 1 liter
- Lemon Juice - 1.5 tblspn
- For Sugar Syrup:
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Water - 5 cups
- Squeeze some lemons, you will need 1.5 tblspn of lemon juice, line a sieve with muslin cloth and place it over a big bowl.
- Take milk in a pot and put it on high heat. Let it come to a boil. Once it boils, take it off the heat and let it sit for 1 min.
- Now add in lemon juice and mix gently. The milk will curdle. Once a greenish whey separates from the milk and the milk solids have curdled completely. Strain it in the sieve.
- Now take a big bowl of cold water and wash the chenna well. rinse it in three changes of water.
- Now squeeze it gently with your hands to remove any excess whey water, Tie a knot and hang it over a tap and leave it to drain for 30 mins. I squeezed occasionally to make things faster.
- After 30 mins, take the chenna in a bowl and knead it gently, by rubbing with your palms and knuckles till you get a soft dough.
- Once a dough is soft, take a small portion from it and roll it in your palms gently till you get a smooth ball.
- Repeat with the remaining dough as well.
- Now take sugar and water in a big pot and mix well so the sugar is melted. Once the sugar is melted, put it on stove and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Now drop the balls into the sugar water and cover it with a tight lid and cook it for 8 to 10 mins till the ball has tripled in volume.
- Now take it off the heat and let it sit for 15 mins.
- Now open the lid and transfer it to a bowl and chill it for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve chilled.
2)Chenna or Channa made has to be soft. Once you add lemon juice / curd / vinegar to your milk. Don't over cook the chenna. Else it will get hard and rubbery.
3)Wash the chenna made in cold water to remove the sourness.
4)Knead the paneer really well till it is soft and smooth. You can use a food processor. But the dough has to be soft and smooth.
5) Roll the balls till no cracks are found.
6)Get the sugar syrup perfect for cooking. I use 2 cups sugar and 5 cups water.
7)Use larger pan to cook the rasgullas. It expands a lot.
8)You can add any flavour to the syrup like cardamom, saffron, kesar.
9)Once rasgullas are cooked, drop them in cold water. If they floats then it is cooked.
|Take milk in a pot|
|Put it on high heat and keep stiring|
|Squeeze juice from 1 lemon, you need 1.5 tblspn
of lemon juice
|Line sieve with muslin cloth and place it over a bowl|
|Now the milk must have started foamy|
|Now it has boiled|
|Take it off the heat and leave it for a 1 mins|
|Add in the lemon juice|
|Mix gently and you will see the milk has started curdling|
|Now it is completely curdled, you can see a light greenish
kind of water has separated, this is the correct stage
|pour the entire thing on to the sieve|
|This is the whey water, so healthy..You can use them
to knead chapati dough, add it to rasam, soup..
|Now take a bowl of cold water, drop the curdled chenna
into the water and wash it well
|You can run it under cold tap water too.. I washed it
like this for 3 changes of water
|Now hung it over a tap for 30 mins, i squeezed
it with my hands occasionally to make things faster
|This is the soft chenna which you get after
the draining process
|Take chenna in a bowl|
|Knead it with your hands gently|
|Just knead and knuckle|
|Till you get a kind of soft dough|
|Just like this|
|Take a small portion|
|Roll between your palms|
|Now you got a smooth ball, roll gently|
|All balls rolled|
|Now take sugar in a big pot, it should be big enough to hold the rasgullas because those tiny balls will expand three times in volume|
|Add in water|
|Mix well till the sugar is melted|
|Put the pot on heat|
|Bring it to a rolling boil|
|add the rasgulla balls slowly|
|cover it and let it cook|
|Once it is cooked, and the rasgulla has increased in volume..take it off the heat and let it sit for 15 mins|
|Now take a peak at the softest and spongy rasgulla and pat on your back|
|You have to chill it before serving|