Hainanese Chicken Rice with Step by step pictures. Hainanese chicken rice is an ultimate comfort food. Simple ingredients like ginger, garlic, chillies can give such a delicious end product.
WIKI: Hainanese chicken rice is a dish of poached chicken and seasoned rice, served with chilli sauce and usually comes with cucumber garnishes. It was created by immigrants from Hainan in southern China and adapted from the Hainanese dish Wenchang chicken.
This is a simple rice dish in which chicken is cooked in flavourings like ginger, garlic, green onions, chillies which creates a stock. Later rice is cooked in the stock which gives such a amazing rice dish.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Hainanese Chicken Rice Recipe
- Chicken Legs - 2
- Rice - 1 cup
- Oil - 1 tblsp
- Ginger - 1 tblsp chopped
- Garlic - 1 tblps chopped
- Spring onion - 2 chopped
- Green Chilli - 1 chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chicken Stock - 3 cups
- Spring onion for garnishing
FOR GINGER SAUCE:
- Dry Red Chilli - 6
- Ginger - 1 tblps
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Vinegar - 3 to 4 tblsp
- Heat oil in a pan. Add in ginger, garlic, chillies and spring onion. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add in chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook till both sides is seared.
- Now add in chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook till chicken is done. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Strain the stock.
- Take it back in the pan, add rice and mix well. Cook for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add in chicken and cover it and cook on lowest heat possible for 10 to 15 mins.
- For chilli sauce. Soak chillies in hot water for 10 mins. Add it in blender along with all ingredients and grind.
- Serve with rice.
1)Heat oil in a pan
2)Add in ginger, garlic, chillies and spring onion
3)Saute for a min
4)Add in chicken
5)Add in salt and pepper
6)Flip over and cook
7)Flip over and cook
8)Add in chicken stock
9)Cover and cook till chicken is done
10)Now chicken is done
11)Remove chicken in a plate
14)Drain the sediments
15)Now the stock is done. Add more water if needed
17)Mix well and cook on low heat
18)Place chicken on top
19)Cover and cook on lowest heat possible
20)Now rice is done
21)Meanwhile make chilli and ginger sauce, Take soaked dry chillies in a blender
22)Add in ginger and garlic
25)Add in vinegar
26)Now sauce is done
27)taste and adjust the seasoning