Last Updated on November 20, 2020
Kerala Style Nethili Meen Curry Recipe with step wise pictures,
Nethili meen kuzhambu is my husband all time favorite. This kerala style fish curry not only taste amazing but is super easy to make as well.
Meen Vevichathu is what it is called in kerala. It is a spicy and delicious fish curry which is mainly tamarind based and taste so delicious. The main flavour for this comes from the unique sour ingredient called as kokum.
Goan Fish Curry
Anchovies Fish Curry
Sardine Fish Curry
Chettinad Fish Curry
Malabar Fish Curry
Mackerel Fish Curry
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Kerala Nethili Meen Kuzhambu Recipe
- Anchovies / Nethili - 500 grams
- Coconut Oil - ¼ cup
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 1 broken
- Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam / Methi - ¼ tsp
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 20 peeled and sliced thinly
- Garlic - 5 cloves chopped finely
- Ginger - 2 cm piece chopped finely
- Green Chilli - 2 slit
- Curry leaves a big handful
- Chilli powder - 1 tblsp or to taste
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 3 tblspn
- Coriander powder - 1 tblsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tspSalt to taste
- Kokum / Kodapuli - 3 piece or Tamarind Pulp - 2 tblspn
- Water - 2 cups
- Heat oil in a earthernware kadai. Add in mustard, dry red chillies and fenugreek seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add in shallots, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Saute this for 3 mins or so.
- Now lower the flame and add in spice powders. Saute this on low heat for around 5 mins. The spices will get toasted and colour will darken.
- Now add in tamarind pulp and water. Add in salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, add in fish and mix well. Add in some curry leaves
- Cook this partially covered for 5 to 7 mins on medium high heat. The fish will be cooked by this time.
- Now take it off the heat and cover with a lid. Let it sit for 2 to 4 hours for the flavours to develop. You can serve immediately as well, but it will taste wonderful if it sits for a while.
- Now serve this with boiled tapioca or rice.
1)Heat coconut oil in a pot
2)Add in mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds
3)Add in dry red chillies
4)Add in curry leaves
5)Add chopped onions
6)Add in ginger, garlic and green chillies
7)Saute till golden
8)Add in turmeric powder
9)Add in kashmiri chilli powder and regular chilli powder
10)Add cumin powder and coriander powder
12)Cook this on medium heat for 4 to 5 mins till spices gets toasty
14)Add in tamarind (kudam puli) which is soaked in water
16)Add more water
18)Bring it to a boil
19)Add in nethili fish
20)Simmer for 5 mins