Spicy Madras fish curry with step by step pictures. This is a chennai style fish curry which is spicy and tangy.
You all know i try different fish curries each week, this week it was chennai fish curry and it turned out to be delicious. The curry is tangy and spicy and very flavourful.
About Madras Fish Curry
Madras fish curry is an onion and tomato based curry along with tamarind. Coconut is not used in this curry. This fish curry is one of the favourite dishes as tamarind goes into it. I should also say that one of my favourite breakfasts is this Madras fish curry with dosa.
The special thing about this curry is, it has no coconut. The tamarind used in this is less too. The flavour comes from the onions and tomatoes used in this. The onion tomato masala and the spice powder added in this will make this curry thick and gravy like.
Ingredients for Madras Fish Curry
Turmeric Powder :
The turmeric root is quite bitter, but has an almost citrusy taste, compared to the powder. Turmeric also has something of a sweet taste, and it is quite earthy. When you use the powder, you're unlikely to notice the texture unless you use a substantial amount, but it is somewhat gritty
Tamarind, also known as imli, is used as a sour agent in many cuisines, particularly those of South and Southeast Asia. It's simmered in curries, stirred into drinks, made into relishes and sauces, and even cooked down into a sweet and spicy dessert paste
Fenugreek Seeds :
Fenugreek seeds are one of the staple spices used in Indian cooking, with a sweet, nutty flavor reminiscent of maple syrup and burnt sugar. It can be incredibly bitter when eaten raw, but when cooked and combined with aromatics and spices, it transforms and gives a sweetness and depth of flavor to saucy dishes.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Madras Fish Curry Recipe | Chennai Style Fish Curry
- For Marinating:
- Fish - 500 grams
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- For Masala:
- Oil - ¼ cup
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam / Methi - ¼ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Curry leaves a small handful
- Onion - 2 large chopped finely
- Tomato - 3 large chopped finely
- Green Chilli - 2
- Chilli Powder - 1 tblspn
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 3 tblspn
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi - 2 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 2 tsp
- Tamarind - 1 small gooseberry size or 2 tblspn
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves a small handful finely chopped
- Water as needed
- Take fish and the marinating spices and mix well. Set aside.
- Soak tamarind in some water, squeeze them well and strain it and set aside.
- Heat a earthernware pot, add in oil and crakle in mustard, fenugreek, dry chilli and curry leaves.,
- Add in onions and green chillies. Add in salt and mix well. Cook till it gets lightly translucent.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till it gets mushy, add in the spice powders along with a splash of water and mix well. Cook till oil separates.
- Now add in tamarind water and salt, add more water as needed. Bring it to a boil.
- Now add in fish and mix well. Bring it to a boil again and simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Now add in fresh curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Mix well and serve over rice.
Madras Fish Curry with Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|