Crispy Tempura Prawn with Step by Step Pictures. Prawns coated with tempura batter and panko breadcrumbs and fried till crisp.
This is one of my all time favourite recipe. I have tasted it quite a few times in few restaurants. The outer stays so crispy while the interior stays so juicy.
During last trip to russia, hubby got so many international ingredients from there. He got me a whole lot of japanese ingredients like sake, wasabi, seaweed sheets, panko and many more. So you will be seeing quite a few international recipes in the coming post..This is the first recipe which i made and it turned out really good.
Tempura is a traditional Japanese dish that consists of battered and deep-fried seafood, meat, and vegetables. In the 16th century, the Portuguese introduced the dish to Nagasaki using fritter-cooking techniques. The term tempura may derive from the Spanish term Témporas, which refers to the Ember Days, when no meat is
consumed, or from the Portuguese word tempero, which means seasoning.
Portuguese Catholic missionaries to Japan in the 16th century Muromachi period brought with them the Western-style cooking method of coating foods with flour and then frying them. As a result, the history of tempura in Japan began.
Ingredients for Tempura Prawns
White Wine Vinegar :
White wine vinegar is a staple in our kitchen, used to make sauces, marinades, and to dress salads, fish, and meat. It is produced as a byproduct of the fermentation of white wines by aerobic bacteria of the genus Acetobacter, which convert alcohol to acetic acid.
Panko Breadcrumbs :
Panko are flakes of crustless white bread that have been processed and dried. Because these breadcrumbs are dryer and flakier than regular breadcrumbs, they absorb less oil. Panko results in lighter, crunchier-tasting fried food.
When paired with all-purpose flour, cornstarch helps prevent gluten development, which makes the flour coating crispier, and absorb moisture (from the frying and the Prawn), which also means a crispier coating.
Baking powder is used to increase the volume of baked goods and lighten their texture. It works by releasing carbon dioxide gas into a batter or dough via an acid–base reaction, which causes bubbles in the wet mixture to expand and thus leaven the mixture.
Tempura Prawns Recipe | Prawn Tempura Recipe
- Prawns / Shrimps - 15 to 20
- Soy Sauce - 2 tsp
- Fish Sauce - 2 tsp
- White Wine Vinegar - 2 tsp
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 2 tblspn
- Corn Flour / Cornstarch - 4 tblspn
- Water as needed
- Baking Powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - ¼ tsp
- Panko Breadcrumbs - 1 cup or any breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Take cleaned prawns in a bowl, make four small slashes from head to tail so the prawns dont curl. Now add soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar over it and mix well. Leave to marinate for 15 mins.
- Now mix flour, cornflour, salt, baking powder with water to form a liquidy paste.
- Place panko in a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Take prawn, dip it in the batter, coat it in breadcrumbs and deep fry in oil for 1 to 2 mins on medium high heat.
- Drain on to some paper towel.
Tempura Prawns Step by Step
|Take prawns in a bowl|