Mushroom & Cheese Calzone Recipe with step wise pictures
Pizza, Calzones = Kids favourite, not only kids even adults go crazy. Making it at home is super easy and affordable than you think. I have shared like so many calzone and pizza recipes on my blog so far. The first stage of making pizza or calzone is forming the crust. You can use some of my favourite pizza crust recipes on my blog.
I just used the mushroom filling alone. But you can go further and top with raw sliced bell peppers, onion slices, olives and tomatoes for more filling and tasty toppings. If you are not a fan of mushrooms you can add paneer or chicken instead of mushrooms or check out the other pizza which i have on my blog.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Whole Wheat Pizza Dough - 1 batch
- Olive Oil - 1 tblspn
- Mushrooms - 2 cups sliced thinly
- Onion - 1 small chopped finely
- Pizza Sauce or Tomato Sauce as needed
- Oregano - 1 tsp
- Chilli flakes - 1 tsp
- Dried Parsley - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mozzarella Cheese as needed grated
- Start by making pizza dough and set aside to rise.
- Preheat oven to 250 degree C. Set oven to heat with bottom rod only. So the bottom gets crispy when baked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in onions and mushrooms and saute for 5 mins or so till cooked.
- Add in oregano, salt, chilli flakes and parsley.Mix well. Filling done.
- Take dough, spread it evenly. Top with tomato sauce, mushroom filling, top with oregano, chilli flakes and cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins.
1)Start by making whole wheat pizza dough, you can check recipe here. This dough is wonderful, it is soft and makes perfect pizza or calzone.
2)Start by making your toppings, slice onions and mushrooms thinly
3)Heat olive oil in a pan, add your onions and mushrooms and saute them
4)Saute them for few mins on high heat.
5)The water from mushrooms will start to leave from mushrooms, keep mixing and cook till all the water dries up.
6)Now it is all browned and cooked.
7)Add salt to taste
9)Add in chilli flakes
10)Add in some dried parsley
11)Mix well and cook on high heat
12)Add in tomato sauce or ketchup.
13)Mix well, now the filling is done.set this aside.
14)Now take your pizza dough, it has risen. Knead the dough well.
15)Divide it into small balls
16)Take a dough and flatten it like this
17)Spoon some mushroom filling in
18)Top with cheese
19)Cover it like this
20)Seal the edges
21)Make slashes on top so the air can escape
22)Place it in a greased foil
23)Brush top with some oil
24)Pop this tray in a 250 degree C preheated oven. The oven should be heated with both rod on. So you get a nice crispy crust . The calzone should be baked for 12 to 18 mins.