Last Updated on November 20, 2020
Onion Mutton Masala Recipe - Mutton Vegaya Masala Recipe with step wise pictures.
Spicy mutton masala which has lots of onion sweet flavour. The mutton masala taste amazing with appam, parota, chapati or plain rice.
This mutton gravy was inspired from a curry which i had in a hotel near by. The curry has a sweet taste and it was red with a slick of oil floating on top. I am sure they use lots of onions for the sweet taste. So i tried to make it at home few weeks back and it was delicious. The mutton was cooked to juicy texture and the masala was very sweet and tasty. I used kashmiri chilli powder to achieve the red colour.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Onion Mutton Masala Recipe
- Mutton - ½ kg
- Coconut Oil - ½ cup
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu - 2 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small piece
- Cardamom / Yelakai - 4
- Cloves / Krambu - 4
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Onion - ½ kg
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tblsp
- Green Chillies - 2
- Tomato - 3 large pureed
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 3 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves for garnishing
- Mix mutton with some salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mutton and sear it till brown. Remove to a pressure cooker, add water and cook for 4 to 5 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan, add whole spices. Add in onions, salt. Cover and cook till onions is light golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste, chllies and mix well.
- Add in tomato puree and cook till oil separates.
- Add in spice powders and salt and mix well. Cook till oil separates.
- Add in cooked mutton and water.
- Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
1)Take mutton pieces in a bowl.
2)Add salt and mix well
3)Heat oil in a pan and sear the meat on all sides and set aside.
4)Cook till the meat is well browned
5)Remove to a pressure cooker.
7)Cover and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistle.
8)Now mutton is cooked.
9)Heat coconut oil in a pan, add whole spices
9)Add lots of sliced onions. if you are using ½ kg mutton, you need ½ kg onions.
12)Cover and cook on low heat till onions are done.
13)It will get soft and sweet
14)Add in ginger garlic paste
16)Add tomato puree
18)Cook till oil separates
19)Add in kashmiri chilli powder
20)Add in coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
22)Cook till oil separates
23)Add in mutton pieces along with any cooking liquid
25)Cover and simmer.
26)Cook till oil separates