"Raw Banana Yogurt Curry is a popular side dish made during onam or any occasions. Simple dish to make and taste delicious. This curry is best served hot with rice and papad."
Plantain Curry or Kaalan (Malayalam) is a Keralite dish from Southern India, made of yogurt, coconut and a vegetable like nendran (plantain) or yam. This curry is basically cooked with these vegetables. The whole curry is mixed with thick dahi to make it creamy. You can add more chillies to make it spicy.
Kaalan is typically served as part of the sadhya.
Also Check out this 27 Recipes for Onam Post.
HOW TO MAKE RAW BANANA YOGURT CURRY
📖 Recipe Card
Raw Banana Yogurt Curry Recipe
- 1 Raw Banana | Nendran Banana peeled and cubed
- 2 cups Elephant Yam | Chena Kizhangu peeled and cubed
- to taste Salt
- to taste Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ cup Yogurt | Curd
- 1 cup Fresh coconut grated
- 1 Green chillies
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 Dry red chillies
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Take raw banana, yam in a pan. Add salt and pepper along with little water and cover with a lid. Cook on low heat for 10 to 15 mins till vegetables is cooked.
- Grind ingredients given for masala to a smooth paste.
- Add the ground masala into the vegetables and mix well. Add turmeric powder and cook for few more minutes.
- Add in yogurt and mix well. Take it off the heat.
- Now make seasoning, heat coconut oil and add all spices. Let it fry for few minutes. Pour over the curry and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
1)Take chopped yam in a kadai.
2)Add in chopped raw banana
3)Season with salt
4)Add in black pepper powder
5)Pour in little water and cook till the vegetables are almost cookedd
6)Cover and cook so the vegetables cook a lot faster
7)Now add in the ground masala. The masala has coconut, green chilllies, cumin seeds and red chillies
8)Add in little turmeric powder
10)Mix well and simmer for 5 mins
11)Add in thick yogurt / curd
14)Make seasoning. Fry mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies in coconut oil and pour over the curry.