Shrewsbury Biscuits Recipe - English Shrewsbury Cake Recipe with step wise pictures.
So easy and buttery shrewsbury biscuits adapted from mary berry cookbook. This cookies is super easy to make and taste great with a cup of coffee or tea.
A Shrewsbury cake or Shrewsbury biscuit is a classic English dessert, named after Shrewsbury, the county town of Shropshire. They are made from dough that contains sugar, flour, egg, butter and lemon zest; dried fruit is also often added. Shrewsbury cakes can be small in size for serving several at a time, or large for serving as a dessert in themselves.
I was looking for a easy butter biscuits recipe for a long time. Finally i made this cookies or biscuits recipe and it was super hit. This biscuits were crispy and tasty.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Shrewsbury Biscuits Recipe
- Unsalted Butter - 100 grams
- Caster Sugar - ½ cup 100 grams
- Egg - 1
- Lemon Zest - from one lemon grated
- Currants - 50 grams
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 ¾ cup 200 grams
- Caster sugar for sprinkling on top
(My 1 cup measures 240 ml)
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Separate one egg. Set aside.
- Take soft butter in a bowl and add sugar and cream well.
- Now add in one egg yolk and mix well.
- Add lemon zest and mix well.
- Add flour and currant and shape it into a dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut into rounds.
- Arrange it on a baking pan. brush top with a beaten egg white and sprinkle caster sugar on top.
- Bake for 12 to 15 mins.
- Remove and cool completely.
1)Separate one egg.
2)Take butter in a bowl
3)Add in caster sugar
4)Beat till creamy
5)Add in one egg yolk
7)Grate in one lemon zest
8)Add in flour
9)Add in dried currants
11)Shape it into a dough ball
12)Place it on a floured surface
13)Roll it out
14)Use a cookie cutter to cut it out
15)I used a fluted round cutter
17)Once everything is cut out
18)Place it on a parchment lined baking tray
19)Lightly beat the egg white.
19)Use a pastry brush to brush on top of the biscuits
20)Now everything is brushed well
21)Sprinkle caster sugar over it.
22)Time to bake