Soya chunks potato curry recipe with step by step pictures. Delicious meal maker aloo curry which taste so good with rice or roti.
This is a simple and curry made using soya chunks and potatoes. There is no coconut added in this, but still it turns out delicious and thick. I served it with banana chapati, which tasted yum.
Soya chunks are made from defatted soy flour, which has had the oil removed. They are byproducts of the extraction of soybean oil and have a rough texture when dry. When submerged in warm water or added to gravy, the texture quickly changes to soft and spongy. They are referred to as vegetarian meat because their nutritional profile is comparable to that of several non-vegetarian foods. Soya chunks are also very versatile and can be cooked to mimic the flavour of non-veg curries.
Ingredients for Soya Chunks Potato Curry
The taste of these soy products is quite bland without any added flavouring, though their texture is somewhat chewy, similar to meat. To make them taste great, season them with spices and herbs or serve them in a delicious sauce.
Tomato flavour is frequently described as sweet, tart, tangy, or well- balanced. Tomato flavour is also known as "classic tomato flavour old-fashioned tomato flavour in some cases. Some tomatoes are described as having a mild or bland flavour.
Green Chilli :
The green chillies in cooked or raw form give a fiery hot flavor. To reduce the fiery hot flavor the seeds and inner membranes could be removed which is effective at reducing the heat of the pod.
Soya Chunks Potato Curry Recipe
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf / Sombu - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small stick
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Onion - 1 large finely chopped
- Green Chilli - 2
- Tomatoes - 2 large pureed
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Potatoes - 1 large peeled and cubed
- Soya Chunks - 1 cup check this link
- Milk - ½ cup
- Coriander Leaves a handful finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cook soya chunks as given in this link, drain it, squeeze it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add in all whole spices and let them sizzle.
- Now add in onions sprinkle over some salt. Saute till lightly translucent.
- Add in spice powders and add a dash of water and cook the spice powders till oil separates.
- Add in tomato puree and mix well. Bring it to a boil and simmer till you see thin layer of oil floating on top.
- Now add in potatoes and some water. Cover and cook till potatoes are done.
- Now add in soya chunks, add more water if needed and cook this for a further 5 mins or so.
- Now add in milk and coriander leaves and mix well.
Soya chunks potato curry with step by step