Punjabi Dum Aloo is Potatoes cooked in a yogurt sauce taste delicious with rice or roti. Punjabi style aloo taste absolutely divine.
I have been thinking of making dum aloo for quite a long time. Each time i used to buy baby potatoes specially to make this, but somehow end up in trying different recipes. Last week i bought some potatoes and immediately tried it the next day.
About Aloo Dum
Dum refers to slow-cooked, and aloo refers to potato. Dum aloo is traditionally cooked over low heat in a traditional earthenware vessel (handi), which is usually sealed until the dish is ready to eat. Its name is a mash-up of the words aloo (potatoes) and dum (dough) (steam, or warm breath). Traditionally, the dish is garnished with strips of ginger and coriander leaves. Punjabi Dum Aloo is a popular North Indian curry made from baby potatoes. This curry is flavorful and goes well with rice or naan because it is cooked with spices and yoghurt.
Dum aloo is made so many ways, this time i made it the punjabi way with onions, tomatoes and stuffs like that. Next time will share the traditional kashmiri dum aloo.
Ingredients for Punjabi Dum Aloo Recipe :
Shahi Jeera :
Shahi Jeera has a stronger flavour and is commonly used in pulao and biryani. This spice is commonly used by Indian chefs in curries and tandoori dishes. It has a darker and sweeter flavour than regular cumin. It helps to toast the seeds briefly before using them to bring out their nutty flavour.
Baby potatoes are potatoes that have been removed from the ground before they have fully grown. potatoes have a sweeter flavour as a result of this. It has a pale brown thin outer skin and a creamy off white interior.
Coriander Powder :
Coriander Powder is a flavouring agent used in a variety of cuisines. It is one of the oldest known herbs and spices. Coriander is mentioned in the Bible, and seeds from the plant have been discovered in ruins dating back to 5000 B.C. Its name is derived from the Greek word koris, which means stink bug.
📖 Recipe Card
Dum Aloo Recipe | Punjabi Dum Aloo Recipe | Aloo Dum
- Baby Potatoes - 12 to 14
- Salt to taste
- Water to cook potatoes
- Oil - 5 tblspn
- For Gravy:
- Shahi Jeera - 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Black Cardamom - 1
- Green Cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small stick
- Onion - 1 large pureed
- Tomato - 1 large pureed
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblspn
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi - 1 tblspn
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Fennel Seed Powder / Sombu Podi -1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - ½ tsp
- Curd / Thick Yogurt - 2 tblspn
- Cashewnuts - 15 ground with some water to a fine paste
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves a handful finely chopped
- Take baby potatoes in a pressure cooker. Cover with water, add salt. Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistle. Simmer the pot for 10 mins. Turn off the flame and let the steam go all by itself. Open the cooker and drain the potatoes. Let this cool down, peel them.
- Heat 5 tblspn oil in a pan, add in peeled potatoes and fry till golden. Drain and set aside.
- In the remaining oil, add more if needed. Add in all whole spices and fry for few sec.
- Add in onion puree, ginger garlic paste and cook till golden.
- Add in tomato puree and cook till oil separates.
- Add in all spice powders and mix well.
- Add in cashew paste, yogurt and mix well. Pour in water, salt, and fried potatoes. Cover and simmer the pot for 15 to 20 mins till oil separates.
- Add in coriander leaves and serve.
Dum Aloo with Step by Step
How to Prepare Potatoes for Dum Aloo
|Lets start by cooking the potatoes..I used baby potatoes|
Dum Aloo Curry Preparation
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.