Sweet Bean Mochi with Step by Step Pictures. Mochi with Sweet Bean Filling.
This dessert is very new to me until our thailand trip. I tasted it during our trip and it was so delicious. I loved it a lot. When i came back i searched in amazon and bought a packet of glutinous rice flour.
As soon as it arrived, i made mochi. Traditionally it has red bean filling but i used green gram and it was pretty good. I have plans to make few more mochi recipes too.
Mochi is nothing but a dessert from japan / china. It has a chewy and strechy outer cover and a sweet bean filling.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Sweet Bean Mochi Recipe
- Glutinous Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Salt -½ tsp
- Sugar - 1 tblps
- Food colour if you need
- Corn starch or Potato Starch - as needed
- Red Beans or Green Gram - ½ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Brown Sugar - ½ cup
- Start by making the filling.
- Take beans in a pressure cooker. Add in water and cook for 4 whistle. Let the steam escape. Drain the beans.
- Now mash it well and sugar and keep cooking till it gets thick. Set aside in a bowl and cool it down.
- Make it into equal balls and set aside.
- Now make the outer coat. Take water, sugar, salt food colour in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add in rice flour and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave a small gap.
- Cook for 3 mins in microwave.
- Remove it and mix well.
- Cover it again like first. pop it again in microwave and cook for 1 min.
- Remove it and mix really well for 3 to 4 mins.
- Now dust the work surface with starch.
- Spoon the mix on the starch.
- Flatten it and cut it into pieces.
- take a piece, flatten it. Spoon the filling in it and strech it to seal. You can apply little water to seal it.
- Coat in starch and store.
1)Start by making the filling. For the filling traditionally they use red beans. But i used green gram. I cooked it till it is soft.
2)Add it in a pot
3)Mash it well
4)Just like this
5) Add in brown sugar
7)Cook till it thickens
8)Set aside in a bowl to cool.
9)Now lets make the mochi outer layer
10)In a microwave safe bowl. take water
11)Add in salt
12)Add in sugar
13)Add in pink colour
14)Add in glutinous rice flour
16)Cover it with plastic wrap
17)Leave a small gap. Microwave it for 3 mins
18)Now remove it from microwave
19)It may look weird
20)Now you have to mix it really well
21)cover it again leaving a little gap
22)Microwave for 1 min
24)Use a spoon and keep mixing for 3 mins
25)The more you mix the more sticky and chewy it gets
26)dust work surface with some kind of starch. i used potato starch. You can use cornstarch too.
26)Spoon the mix on it
29)spoon the filling inside
30)Strech and seal it
31)You can apply some water and seal it.