Sweet Bean Mochi with Step by Step Pictures. Mochi with Sweet Bean Filling. Mochi is nothing but a dessert from japan / china. It has a chewy and strechy outer cover and a sweet bean filling.
This dessert is very new to me until our thailand trip. I tasted it during our trip and it was so delicious. I loved it a lot. When i came back i searched in amazon and bought a packet of glutinous rice flour.
As soon as it arrived, i made mochi. Traditionally it has red bean filling but i used green gram and it was pretty good. I have plans to make few more mochi recipes too.
About Sweet Bean Mochi Recipe
Mochi are small Japanese sweet cakes made from glutinous rice flour (mochiko). They have a soft, chewy outer layer and a sweetened red bean paste filling that is deliciously sticky. It is optional to freeze the red bean paste before using it, but it does make the process easier.
Mochi is traditionally made by pounding steamed short-grain japanese sticky rice, known as mochigome, with a wooden mallet during a ceremony known as mochitsuki. This aerates and pulverises the rice, giving it the beloved texture of mochi.
Ingredients for Sweet Bean Mochi Recipe
Glutinous Rice Flour :
Glutinous rice flour is a milled flour made by grinding cooked and dehydrated glutinous rice kernels. rice, also known as sticky rice or sweet rice, is any type of rice with a high amylopectin starch content and a low amylose starch content.
Brown Sugar :
Brown sugar is a sucrose sugar with a distinct brown colour from the presence of molasses. It is either an unrefined or partially refined soft sugar made up of sugar crystals with a residual molasses content, or it is made by adding molasses to refined white sugar.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Sweet Bean Mochi Recipe | Red Bean Mochi Recipe
- Glutinous Rice Flour - 1 cup
- Water - ¾ cup
- Salt -½ tsp
- Sugar - 1 tblps
- Food colour if you need
- Corn starch or Potato Starch - as needed
- Red Beans or Green Gram - ½ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Brown Sugar - ½ cup
- Start by making the filling.
- Take beans in a pressure cooker. Add in water and cook for 4 whistle. Let the steam escape. Drain the beans.
- Now mash it well and sugar and keep cooking till it gets thick. Set aside in a bowl and cool it down.
- Make it into equal balls and set aside.
- Now make the outer coat. Take water, sugar, salt food colour in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add in rice flour and mix well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave a small gap.
- Cook for 3 mins in microwave.
- Remove it and mix well.
- Cover it again like first. pop it again in microwave and cook for 1 min.
- Remove it and mix really well for 3 to 4 mins.
- Now dust the work surface with starch.
- Spoon the mix on the starch.
- Flatten it and cut it into pieces.
- take a piece, flatten it. Spoon the filling in it and strech it to seal. You can apply little water to seal it.
- Coat in starch and store.
Sweet Bean Mochi Recipe Step by Step Pictures
1)Start by making the filling. For the filling traditionally they use red beans. But i used green gram. I cooked it till it is soft.
2)Add it in a pot
3)Mash it well
4)Just like this
5) Add in brown sugar
7)Cook till it thickens
8)Set aside in a bowl to cool.
9)Now lets make the mochi outer layer
10)In a microwave safe bowl. take water
11)Add in salt
12)Add in sugar
13)Add in pink colour
14)Add in glutinous rice flour
16)Cover it with plastic wrap
17)Leave a small gap. Microwave it for 3 mins
18)Now remove it from microwave
19)It may look weird
20)Now you have to mix it really well
21)cover it again leaving a little gap
22)Microwave for 1 min
24)Use a spoon and keep mixing for 3 mins
25)The more you mix the more sticky and chewy it gets
26)dust work surface with some kind of starch. i used potato starch. You can use cornstarch too.
26)Spoon the mix on it
29)spoon the filling inside
30)Strech and seal it
31)You can apply some water and seal it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is mochi just ice cream?
Mochi is Not Just Ice Cream. Making the ice cream experience portable with new flavours and a new delivery method is fantastic, but it pales in comparison to the rich history of sweet rice dough itself.
Is mochi Japanese or Chinese?
The journey to the fusion dessert we've all come to know and love began with mochi, a pounded rice cake. It is a traditional Japanesefood that is sold and eaten during the Japanese New Year. Traditional mochi is pounded ceremoniously during the mochitsuki ceremony.