Curry bread is a popular japanese snack recipe. It is also called as curry pan or kare pan in which spicy curry is filled inside a soft yeasted bread dough and then coated in breadcrumbs and fried. It is similar to bunny chow or curry puff. You will love my veg puff.
Japanese Curry Bread Recipe
Kare pan may sound different but it is a delicious snack which has a curry filling inside it. It makes a great snack or a light breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have tasted it during our visit to thailand and was instantly hooked to it. Authentic version of kare pan has japanese curry inside them. Any kind of Minced meat or chopped meat is added for more flavour. You can make vegetarian curry bread as well.
What is Kare Pan
Curry bread is a popular Japanese food. It consists of Japanese curry wrapped in a piece of dough, which is then coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried. On occasion it is baked instead of deep fried, but deep frying is the most common method of cooking. Curry bread is usually found in bakeries and convenience stores.
CHECK OUT MORE JAPANESE RECIPES
- Castella Cake
- Miso Soup
- Chicken Katsu
- Wasabi Mayonnaise
- Japanese Egg Salad Sandwich
- Vegetable Tempura
- Ramen Soup
- Chicken Karage
- Soba Noodles with chicken
- Japanese Curry
Ingredients to Make Curry Bread
You need just two ingredients to make curry bread. Bread Dough and Curry Filling.
Traditional basic japanese curry is used in the filling. Japanese curry is made using a combination of onions, carrots and potatoes and seasoned it with Japanese curry cubes. ketchup and garam masala. I made my curry a little indian style, it is very similar to japanese curry. But instead of using japanese curry cubes I added few spice powders and cashew paste to thicken and add creaminess to the curry.
The dough is a basic yeasted dough. It has flour, salt, sugar, yeast and water.
- Bread flour - bread flour has more gluten in them which is great for a bread like this. It adds more chewyness to the bread.
- Instant Yeast
- Oil - You can use butter or lard as well.
Curry Bread Preparation
Start by making the dough. Mix flour with salt, sugar, yeast, and warm water to form a soft dough. Apply oil on top and cover with a lid. Set aside in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours.
Curry Filling Method
You can use my japanese chicken curry instead of this indian style curry. In which case you have to use finely chopped meat or even minced meat and less water.
For Indian style curry filling. Heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds and let them sizzle. Add in onions and saute for 2 mins. In goes vegetables and stir fry for 2 to 3 mins. Add in tomatoes and mix well. Season with little salt. Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 10 mins till vegetables are cooked. Add in the spice powders and tomato ketchup. mix well. Add in the cashew paste and little water. mix well and cook till the mixture is thickened. Set aside this is your curry filling.
Frying Curry Bread
Now your dough must have risen. Punch down the air from the dough, divide into 6 equal portions. Take a dough ball and flatten it, spoon in filling and seal from all the sides. Shape it into smooth ball and set aside. Take cornflour in a bowl, add water and make it into a thin slurry. Add breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Carefully take your dough ball, dunk them in corn flour slurry and then in breadcrumbs. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown. Drain and set aside. Serve hot.
Japenese Curry Bread Video
How to Bake or Air Fry Curry Bread
- Bake: Pre-heat oven to 180 C (350 F). Place the curry bread on a lined baking tray and spray with oil on all sides. Bake each side for 15 minutes (total 30 minutes) or until they’re golden brown.
- Air Fry: Pre-heat air fryer to 180 C (350 F). Place the curry bread in the air fryer basket and spray all sides with oil. Air fry for 6 minutes. Flip and air fry for another 6 minutes (total 12 minutes).
Curry Bread with Step by Step
1)Take all purpose flour in a bowl.
2)Add in sugar
3)Add in salt.
4)Add in dry yeast
5)Pour in warm water and knead to a soft dough.
6)Once the dough is mixed well. Cover and set aside some place warm so it can double in size.
7)Meanwhile let's make the filling. Heat oil and add in some fennel seeds.
8)Add in onions
9)Add in carrots and beans.
10)Mix in some finely chopped tomatoes
11)Season with salt and mix well.
12)Cover and cook on low till the vegetables is cooked.
13)Add in spice powders.
15)Add in some tomato ketchup for taste.
16)Mix well completely.
17)Add in cashew paste.
17)Mix well till it is creamy. Curry filling is done.
18)Divide the dough into equal portion.
19)Flatten a dough
20)Spoon some curry filling inside.
21)Seal from all sides carefully.
22)Repeat the process for all the dough. Now dunk the dough ball in some cornflour slurry. Mix 2 tbsp cornstarch with some water to form a thin liquid.
23)Coat them in breadcrumbs.
24)Deep fry in hot oil.
25)Fry till both sides is golden brown.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter for more Yummy Tummy inspiration.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Japanese Curry Bread Recipe | Kare Pan
For Making Dough
- 1½ cup All purpose flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp Oil
For Curry Filling
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Onion chopped finely
- 1 Carrot chopped finely
- 1 Potato peeled and chopped finely
- 6 Green beans chopped finely
- 1 Tomato chopped finely
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 6 Cashews ground with little water
- ½ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Oil for deep frying
- Start by making the dough. Mix flour with salt, sugar, yeast, and warm water to form a soft dough. Apply oil on top and cover with a lid. Set aside in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours.
- Now make the filling. Heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds and let them sizzle.
- Ádd in onions and saute for 2 mins.
- In goes vegetables and stir fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add in tomatoes and mix well. Season with little salt.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat for 10 mins till vegetables are cooked.
- Add in the spice powders and tomato ketchup. mix well.
- Add in the cashew paste and little water. mix well and cook till the mixture is thickened. Set aside this is your curry filling.
- Now your dough must have risen. Punch down the air from the dough, divide into 6 equal portions.
- Take a dough ball and flatten it, spoon in filling and seal from all the sides. Shape it into smooth ball and set aside.
- Take cornflour in a bowl, add water and make it into a thin slurry. Add breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Carefully take your dough ball, dunk them in corn flour slurry and then in breadcrumbs. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain and set aside. Serve hot.
More Japanese Recipes
This looks delicious. Will try it for sure.
I used half whole wheat flour and half regular flour for the dough. it was delicious. I made extra dough and used it the next day. It was delicious
I had leftover curry. Instead of grinding cashew nuts I added ground almond flour. Use around 2 tbsp and it gave the required creaminess and tasted yum. Thanks for the recipe. Have made so many of your recipe. Nothing fails me.
Hearing about this just now. Thanks for introducing this delicious snack with us. Will try it and let you know.
Checked this in your youtube channel. loved your blog and youtube. Fan of your vlogs.