Thinai Dosa or Foxtail millet dosa is a healthy option for regular dosa. This is super delicious and is easy to make as well.
I always wanted to post recipes using whole grains like millet, kambu and stuffs like that, I always buy them when i go for shopping but keeps forgetting about them. And finally they will get spoiled and i throw them away. Last time when i was shopping i bought these and as soon as i reach home i got into action, before i forget. I made a dosa batter out of this.
About this Recipe
Thinai, or foxtail millet, is an annual grass grown for human consumption. It is the second-most planted millet species and the most grown millet species in Asia. Foxtail millets are high in iron and calcium, which helps to keep bones and muscles healthy. It aids the bodys calcium and phosphorus requirements in the fight against
brittle bones, inflammation, osteoporosis, arthritis, and spondylitis. The protein, fat, and fibre content of the formulated foxtail and barnyard millet products were higher than that of the rice products. Thus, the current study concluded that foxtail millet and barnyard millet have higher nutritive value than rice and have the potential to be used in traditional food products.
It is so easy to make but ridiculously healthy for you. It really calls for simple ingredients. But the end product is so worth it.
Ingredients for Thinai Dosai :
Fox Millet / Thinai :
Fox Millet or Thinai has a natural, bitter-tasting coating called saponin, which must be removed before cooking. Once cooked, millet can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Millet, unlike other grains, becomes solid and dry when cold and must be broken up and reheated before use.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Thinai Dosa Recipe | Foxtail Millet Dosa Recipe
- Fox Millet / Thinai - 1 cup
- Rice - 1 cup
- Urad dal / Ulundu - ½ cup
- Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam - ½ tsp
- Take millet, rice in a bowl and wash well. Now soak this water for 6 hours.
- Take dal and fenugreek in a bowl and wash well. Now soak this water for 6 hours.
- Now take dal and fenugreek in a blender and make into a fine paste by adding some water. pour that into a container.
- Same way add rice and millet and make into a smooth paste by adding some water. Pour that into the same container.
- Add salt to this and mix well.
- Let this ferment for 8 hours.
- Now mix well again.
- Heat a tawa and make dosa out of it. Drizzle oil and cook for a min. Flip over and cook on other side too.
- Serve immediately with chutney.
Thinai Dosa Step by Step