Vegetable Jalfrezi Recipe with step by step pictures. Vegetables are stir-fried and served in a thick spicy sauce with green chilli peppers. Veg Jalfrezi is a super healthy dish with lots of vegetables.
If your kids are fussy eaters, then this is a great way to include veggies in their diet. This sabzi tastes delicious so your kids are bound to love it! I made this a few days back and it was a super hit. Everyone enjoyed it with plain steamed rice, but you can also relish it wrapped in a hot chapatti. This is a simple and delectable recipe to include variety of veggies in one dish. You can add cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, even paneer or tofu.
About Vegetable Jafrezi Recipe
Jalfrezi is a Bengali stir-fried curry dish that is popular throughout the Indian subcontinent and beyond. Jalfrezi literally means hot-fry. It is made up of a main ingredient, such as meat, fish, paneer, or vegetables, that is stir-fried and served in a thick spicy sauce with green chilli peppers.
Green peppers, onions, and tomatoes are common ingredients inJalfrezi. Spices such as paprika and coriander are also included. The mixture is then stir-fried with vegetables or meat. Jalfrezi is frequently served with pulao.
Jalfrezi is an Indo-Chinese recipe wherein veggies are coated with a thick, flavourful masala. You can make the same recipe with cubed boneless chicken instead of veggies. The key to get the bright coloured jalfrezi is to use thick tomato puree. I used store-bought puree, you can use homemade tomato puree if you prefer. Also, adding tomato ketchup gives it a nice sweet & tart flavour, so don’t skip it!
Ingredients for Vegetable Jalfrezi Recipe
Cumin has a warm, earthy flavour and aroma that is slightly sweet and bitter. To achieve the best flavour, the whole seeds must be toasted. When applied to rich, savoury ingredients like meat or yoghurt, cumins whole seeds have an earthy heat and brightness thats almost reminiscent of dried lemon peel. Its nutty, floral flavour is
enhanced when combined with fluffy basmati rice.
Tomato purée is a thick liquid that is created by cooking and straining tomatoes. The consistency difference between tomato paste, tomato purée, and tomato sauce is that puree is thicker and has a deeper flavour than sauce.
Garam Masala Powder
The whole spices in the Garam Masala blend have already been toasted before being ground. As a result, it is not necessary to cook it. If the garam masala is added too soon, it will become overcooked and lose its flavour. Garam masala aromatics require only a small amount of heat to release their aroma and flavours.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Veg Jalfrezi Recipe | Vegetable Jalfrezi Recipe
- Sunflower Oil - 4 tblsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 large sliced thinly
- Ginger - Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
- Tomato Puree - 1 cup 3 tomatoes pureed
- Tomato Ketchup - ¼ cup
- Chilli Powder - 1 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- Mixed Veggies - 4 cups
- Kasuri Methi Leaves - 1 tblsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves or Spring onion for garnishing
- Heat Sunflower Oil in a pan, add cumin and let it sizzle.
- Add in onions and cook till translucent.
- Stir in ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell disappears.
- Pour in tomato puree, ketchup and mix well.
- Now goes the spice powders except garam masala powder.
- Add in all veggies except capsicum and toss well. Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 mins. Add capsicum and toss well. Cook for 10 more mins.
- Mix in garam masala powder, kasuri methi leaves and spring onion. Mix well.
Vegetable Jalfrezi Recipe Step by Step Pictures
1) Gather all your ingredients.
2) You can use veggies of your choice. I have used baby corn, three coloured capsicums, potatoes, beans and carrots.
3) Heat oil in a nonstick kadai. Let the oil heat.
4) Add in cumin seeds and let them crackle.
5) Add in sliced onions.
6) Sauté the onions till translucent.
7) Add in ginger-garlic paste.
8) Cook for a few mins till the raw smell from ginger-garlic paste disappears.
9) Add in tomato puree. If making at home, you can puree 3 tomatoes until smooth. Also add in some tomato ketchup.
11) Cook for 3 to 4 mins.
12) Add in salt and other spice powders except garam masala powder.
14) Mix well and cook till raw smell disappears.
15) Add in all veggies except capsicum.
16) Mix well in the masala.
17) Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 mins.
18) Now it is half cooked.
19) Add in the capsicums.
20) Mix well.
21) Cook for 10 more mins.
22) Add in garam masala.
23) Add some dried kasuri methi leaves.
24) Mix well.
25) You can add spring onions or coriander leaves.
26) Mix well.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Jalfrezi mean in Indian?
The term 'Jalfrezi' refers to an Indian technique for making a hot and spicy curry with fried meat and vegetables. 'Jal or jhal' means spicy in Bengali, and 'frezi' means stir-fried.