Sutta Kathirikkai Chutney Recipe with step by step pictures. This Delicious smoked eggplant chutney is made with brinjal roasted in open flame and made into a chutney.
Nobody can beat grandma's cooking right? Simple yet delicious. You don't need exotic spices or heavy machinery to produce super delicious meals. You only need a old specialist cook to assist you or even cook for you the simplest dishes that taste so unique. Kotsu is one of her speciality dishes, because it is tangy, spicy yet so flavourful dish made with brinjal. I have my way of making kotsu, i have posted that recipe here before. But this is her way way of doing it, so simple but so flavourful.
Specially this Kotsu, it doesn't call for any ingredients that is fancy. Just simple stuff that are cooked on open flame to get its maximum flavour. The highlight of this recipe is you can cook this with zero oil. My grandma doesn't use spoon or masher for this, she just uses her hand to do all the mixing. That is really a rustic way of cooking. Hope you will try out and let me know how it turned out for you.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Sutta Kathirikai Chutney Recipe | Smoked Eggplant Chutney Recipe
- Brinjal - 2
- Dry Red Chillies - 4 to 5
- Asafoetida / Hing / Kaya Podi - ½ tsp
- Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
- Salt to taste
- Take brinjal and clean them well. Now cook them on open flame till it is nicely charred and cooked on all sides. Cook on a medium flame so it gets evenly charred and cooked. Immerse them in cold water so it gets cooled and you can peel the skins off easily. Mash them well and set aside.
- Now cook the chillies on open flame too till it is charred. Set them aside.
- Soak tamarind in some water and mash them well with your hands.
- Pour the strained tamarind juice over mashed brinjal and mix well.
- Add in salt and asafoetida.
- Pour this mixture over a heavy bottom kadai. Boil them till it is reduced and thickened.
Sutta Kathirikkai Chutney Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients|