Masala Puri | Masal Puri | Masal Puri Chaat Recipe is a Road Side Popular Street food Masala Puri is popular across the nation. Easy to make and taste mouthwatering delicious.
Masala puri, or Masalpuri, is an Indian snack which is especially popular in the southern states of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. A form of chaat, the dish originated in the Indian state of Karnataka and has now become famous in the entire Indian subcontinent. Typically spicy, the dish can also be made sweet based on the requirement.
Crushed puri's are soaked in hot masala gravy made up of green peas, chili powder, garam masala, chaat masala, coriander powder, etc. Toppings of small slices of onion and tomato, coriander leaves and sev are then added, before the dish is served.
I used store bought pani puri's which i fried as per needed. I made a spicy, slightly sweet and tangy green peas curry. When served over hot crispy puri's this delicious dish taste absolutely divine.
You can make the puris in advance, curry in advance, prepare the topping in advance and assemble when you are serving.
Masala Puri is nothing but a plate of crispy puris topped with a spicy tangy slightly sweet peas curry. Then the best part is it is served with a topping of onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and lemon juice.
You can top this with variety of stuffs like
- finely chopped onions
- finely chopped tomatoes
- chopped coriander leaves
- grated carrots
- lemon juice
- crispy sev or any namkeen
- sprinkle of chaat masala
Masala Puri is
- Easy to make
- Requires minimum ingredients
- Kids friendly
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Masala Puri | Masal Puri | Masal Puri Chaat Recipe
- Oil - 2 tblsp
- Onion - 1 chopped finely
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 1 chopped finely
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- Green Peas - 1 cup dried
- Potato - 1 boiled peeled and mashed
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind Pulp - 1 to 2 tsp or to taste
- Sugar as needed
- Puris which we use for pani puri
- Oil for frying the puris
- Onions Tomato, Coriander leaves and Sev for servings
- Lemon Wedges for serving
- Soak dried peas in water overnight. Take peas in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 to 4 whistle. Let the steam escape and check whether peas is cooked.
- Boil potatoes, peel them and mash it lightly.
- Now make the gravy.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add in onions and saute till golden.
- Add in tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and saute for few mins.
- Now add in spice powders and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add in cooked peas, mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Simmer this for few mins.
- Fry the puris.
- Take some puris, crush them to a plate.
- Spoon the curry on top.
- Top with onions, tomatoes and green chillies.
- Top with sev and lemon.
- Serve immediately.
2)Make the curry ahead of time and store in fridge. Use as needed
3)You can fry up the puris and store in a air tight container and use as needed
Masala Puri Step by Step Pictures
1)Heat oil in a kadai
2)Add in finely chopped onions and saute for 3 to 4 mins
3)Add in chopped tomatoes and ginger garlic paste.
4)Saute till tomatoes get mushy
5)Add in spice powders. Like chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder and pav bhaji masala powder
6)Saute for 30 seconds or so till raw smell leaves
7)Add in boiled green peas
8)Add in boiled mashed potatoes
9)Mix well. Season with salt. tamarind juice and sugar and cook on low heat for 10 mins
10)Green peas masala is done
11)Fry some puris which we use for pani puri
12)Now time to assemble
13)Crush the pooris in a Serving plate
14)Top with green peas curry
15)Top with chopped onions, tomatoes and green chillies
16)Top with sev. I used mixture