Misal Pav Recipe with Step by Step Pictures.
Misal pav is a popular dish from Maharashtra, India. It consists of misal (a spicy curry usually made from moth beans) and pav (a type of Indian bread roll). The final dish is topped with farsan or sev, onions, lemon and coriander (cilantro). It is usually served with bread or rolls toasted with butter and buttermilk or curd and papad. It is served as a breakfast dish, as a snack and also as a full meal.
Misal Pav is a moong sprouts sabzi or gravy which has a tangy, sweet and spicy note to it. It is normally served along side with some pav rolls.
This is the first time i am making it and i would say it is quite delicious. Normally they make it little different. The gravy would have lots of oil floating on top. But since we are making it at home we can reduce it considerably.
Normally they use goda masala in this. But still i dont have that i used normal spices which we have to make this. It is easy as well. This makes a whole meal by itself. Very nutritious too.
I would call this as indian chilli without meat. This is perfect when served hot with some pav on the side.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Moong Sprouts - 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Water as needed
- Oil - 2 tblsp + 3 tblsp
- Onion - 1 large chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tblsp
- Tomato - 2 chopped
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 1 tblsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
- Jaggery - 2 tblsp
- Tamarind Pulp - 1 tblsp or to taste
- Pav Buns as needed
- Onion - 1 chopped finely for serving
- Coriander Leaves as needed
- Sev or farsan as needed
- Lemon wedges as needed
- Take moong sprouts in a pressure cooker. Add in salt, turmeric and water. Pressure cook for 1 whistle and set aside till pressure releases.
- Now heat 2 tblsp oil in a pan, add onions, ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 mins.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Now cool this down. Take it in a blender and puree till smooth.
- Heat 3 tblspoil in a kadai. Add cumin and curry leaves. Leave them to sizzle.
- Add in spice powders, along with little water and cook till oil separates.
- Add in ground masala and cook till oil separates.
- Now add water, cooked sprouts, jaggery and tamarind. Mix well and cook on low heat for 10 to 12 mins till oil floats on top.
- Spoon this in a bowl, top with onions, coriander leaves, sev and serve with pav buns and lemon wedges.
1)Take moong sprouts in a pressure cooker
3)Add turmeric powder
5)Cook for 1 whistle. Let the steam release all by itself. Open the lid and set this aside.
6)Heat oil in a kadai
5)Add in onions
6)Add in ginger garlic paste
7)Saute for 2 mins or so
8)Add in tomatoes
9)Cook that till mushy
10)Cover and cook
11)Now it cooked down.
12)Take it in a blender and puree
13)Puree till smooth
14)Heat oil in a kadai
15)Add in cumin seeds and curry leaves
16)Add in spice powders
17)Toast the spices in the oil
19)Cook till oil separates
20)Now the oil has separated
21)Add onion tomato masala
23)Cover and cook on low heat
24)Cook till oil separates
25)Add tamarind juice
26)Add salt to taste
27)Add in jaggery
29)Add cooked sprouts
30)Add cooking liquid.
31)Cover and simmer
32)You have to cook till oil floats on top.
33)Spoon this in a bowl
35)Add coriander leaves
36)Add in sev or any crunchy snacks
37)Enjoy with some pav.