Tomato Chicken Curry Recipe with step by step pictures. Tangy tomato chicken which is easy to make and taste amazing.
Each weekend hubby gets chicken for lunch, i will be looking for new recipes to try. This is one recipe which i came up with. This has tomatoes and chillies as dominant flavour and the taste was just yum.
About this Recipe
Chicken curry, also known as curry chicken, is a dish from the Indian subcontinent. It is widespread in the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, the United Kingdom, and the Caribbean. A typical Indian subcontinent curry consists of chicken stewed in an onion-and- tomato-based sauce flavoured with ginger, garlic, tomato puree,
chilli peppers, and a variety of spices, which may include turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cardamom. Outside of South Asia, chicken curry is frequently made with curry powder, a pre-made spice mixture.
Onions and tomatoes serve as thickeners in any curry. The smaller the pieces of onion you chop, the thicker your gravy will be. The best way to make the curry is with finely sliced or chopped onions, which will result in a thick and rich curry.
Hope you will like this and let me know if you try it.
Ingredients for Tomato Chicken Curry
Onions are considered a basic ingredient or the foundation of Indian cooking and are used to make any gravy, curry, or bhuna dish. The flavour and aroma of onion transforms any ordinary dish into a mouthwatering and delectable one.
Cumin Powder :
Cumin is a key ingredient in Indian curries and chutneys. The spice is also delicious in rice dishes, stews, soups, breads, pickles, barbecue sauces, and chilli con carne. Cooking with cumin should be done with caution because its flavour can easily overpower a dish.
Turmeric Powder :
The turmeric root is quite bitter, but has an almost citrusy taste, compared to the powder. Turmeric also has something of a sweet taste, and it is quite earthy. When you use the powder, you're unlikely to notice the texture unless you use a substantial amount, but it is somewhat gritty.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
📖 Recipe Card
Tomato Chicken Curry Recipe
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Curry leaves a small handful
- 1 large Onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- Coriander leaves a small handful finely chopped
- For Cooking Chicken:
- 500 grams Chicken
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi
- 2 cup Water
- For Masala:
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 3 large Tomato chopped
- 5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 cup Water
- Take chicken, salt, turmeric powder in a pressure cooker, cover with water and pressure cook for 3 whistle. Simmer for 5 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself. Open the cooker and set aside.
- Take all the masala ingredients in a pan. cover with water. Cook for 10 mins. Let it cool a bit, take it in a blender and make it into a fine puree. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add in curry leaves, onions and saute till golden.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and saute well.
- Add in cumin, turmeric and garam masala powder. mix well.
- Add in chicken with the water. Pour in the tomato mix and bring this to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Add in coriander leaves. Serve.
Tomato Chicken Curry Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|Take all your ingredients
|Take chicken in a pressure cooker
|Add in turmeric powder
|add in salt
|cook till done
|Take tomato in a sauce pan
|add in dry red chillies
|add in onion
|Bring it to a boil
|boil for 10 mins or so
|now it is all cooked
|take it in a blender
|make it into a fine puree
|heat oil in a kadai
|add in curry leaves
|add in onions
|saute till golden
|add in ginger garlic paste
|Add in turmeric, cumin and garam masala powder
|add in cooked chicken
|add in pureed tomato
|simmer for few mins
|now oil has separated
|add in coriander leaves