Urad Dal Porrige (Sweet Version) – Uludu Kanji Recipe with step wise pictures.
Healthy and tasty sweet version of ulundu kanji which is highly nutritious. This porridge is so good either on its own or with some chutney or pickle.
This is one of my favorite combo meals. Amma makes often. Porridge are very healthy for you, since they dont have any oil in it and it normally made with rice and some kind of dals, it taste heavenly and it is really good for you. I have posted a version of this kanji which is made with wheat. You can check out my wheat dal kanji too.
Check out this milk kanji with green gram thoran.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Rice -1 cup
- Split Black Urad Dal with Skins on - ½ cup
- Water - 5 cup
- Dry Ginger Powder / Chukku Podi - 1 tsp
- Coconut - ½ cup finely grated
- Milk - 500 ml / ½ liter Boiled
- Jaggery - ½ cup or to taste
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp (optional)
- Wash rice and dal well and set aside.
- Take a pressure cooker or electric rice cooker. Add the rice and dal mix in it. Cover with water. If using electric rice cooker, cover the cooker and cook till the cooker shows green or it indicates the rice is done. If using pressure cooker, cover and cook for 5 whistle, simmer the stove and cook for 10 mins. Now turn the stove off and let the steam escape all by itself.
- Now open the cooker and using a ladle mix everything up till the rice and dal is broken up and reached the correct consistency.
- Add in dry ginger powder, salt, cardamom powder, grated coconut and jaggery and mix well.
- Add in boiled milk and mix well. Kanji done.
1)Measure rice and dal
2)Wash them well
3)Add that to pressure cooker or rice cooker
5)Cover and cook
6)When it is done, open the cooker
7)Mix well using the ladle to break some rice and dal
8)Once it has become to your desired consitency
9)Add dry ginger powder
10)Add some finely grated coconut
11)Pour in boiled milk
12)Mix well and let it simmer for 5 mins.
13)I took some of the porridge and made sweet. Add in some powdered jaggery
14)Mix well. You can add some cardamom powder in this too