100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe with step by step pictures. A Dinner roll is a small individual loaf of bread that is usually round or oblong in shape and served as a meal accompaniment (eaten plain or with butter). Rolls can be served and eaten whole or cut and filled .
I love make homemade breads and buns. I love making them mostly for dinner and have them with some curries or egg or soups. So far i have made them using whole wheat flour, will soon share regular buns recipe soon.
About this Recipe
I have already shared a whole wheat dinner rolls recipe here, it has eggs in them and it works good every time. I wanted to share a recipe with no egg in them and hence this recipe was born. Have used a paste made with flour and milk and used that to make a dough in my sweet milk buns recipe. Hence i decided to try that trick using whole wheat flour as well. And my idea didn't fail me, what i got is a nice soft chewy textures whole wheat dinner rolls.
A Dinner roll is a small individual loaf of bread that is usually round or oblong in shape and served as a meal accompaniment (eaten plain or with butter). Rolls can be served and eaten whole or cut and filled .
Why is it called dinner rolls?
The dinner roll is a small round loaf of bread that is commonly served as a side dish to a meal. Dinner rolls are named after their original purpose as an easily passed dinner food dating back to ancient times.
Who invented dinner rolls?
The first is from the Parker House Hotel in Boston, which opened in 1854. A irritated baker allegedly tossed a batch of unfinished rolls into the oven. They created a distinct shape with a light interior and a buttery exterior.
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe:
Whole Wheat Flour / Atta :
It has a lighter colour and a milder flavour, but it still provides all of the whole grain benefits because the bran, germ, and endosperm are all preserved. As a result, white whole wheat flour is an excellent ingredient for whole grain baking, including breads, pastries, and everything in between.
Milk serves several purposes in baked goods. It provides liquid to hydrate the dry ingredients, adds flavour, aids browning, and softens texture.
Dry Yeast :
Dry yeast is a dehydrated form of Bakers yeast that does not need to be refrigerated and has a long shelf life. It is used in a variety of baking formulations to improve texture and flavour.
Version 1: Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (without Eggs)
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
100% Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
- Whole Wheat Flour / Atta - 3 cups
- Milk - around 2 to 2.5 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Sugar - 1 tblspn
- Olive Oil - 2 tblspn
- Dry Yeast - 2 tsp
- Take ½ cup of wheat flour and 1 cup of milk in a sauce pan, mix well and cook this till it gets thick and like a sticky mix. Now take it off the heat and set aside to cool down.
- Now take yeast and little sugar in a bowl, Pour over little warm water and mix well. Set aside for 5 mins so it activates and get bubbly.
- Now take wheat flour, salt, sugar in a bowl and mix well. Make a well in the center, add in the sticky wheat flour mix, yeast mix and extra milk and make it into a little sticky dough.
- Now add in oil and knead it for 5 to 6 mins till it gets soft and sticky. Now cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 1 to 2 hours. Now sprinkle some extra flour and knead it well.
- Now divide it into equal balls and smooth it out. Arrange it in a greased baking pan leaving little space between each one. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 to 45 mins.
- In the last 10 mins, Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
- Now brush some oil on top of the rolls and pop this in oven and bake for 15 to 20 mins.
- Remove it and brush the top with some olive oil or butter.
- Serve warm.
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Step by Step
|take all your ingredients|
Version 2: Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (With Eggs)
Hope you will like them and let me know how it turns out for you..
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Resting Time : 2 hours
Baking Time : 25 mins
Makes : 6 to 8 buns
Ingredients for Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Whole Wheat Flour / Atta - 2 cup
- Dry Yeast - 1.5 tsp
- Warm Milk - ¾ cup
- Warm Water - ¼ cup + as needed
- Honey / Sugar - 1 tblspn
- Egg - 1
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil - 1 tblspn
- Egg - 1 for egg washing
- Sesame Seeds as needed
How to Make Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Take milk, water, honey, yeast in a bowl. Let it sit for 5 mins till the yeast is activated. Now add in olive oil and mix well.
- Take wheat flour, salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the yeast mix, one egg in this and mix well. Knead it to a soft dough
- Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rest for 1 to 1.30 hours.
- Preheat the oven for 200 Degree C.
- Knock the air out and knead it well. Divide it into equal portion. Shape it into balls, cover it let it rest for 45 mins.
- Brush the top with beaten egg, sprinkle some sesame seeds over it.
- Bake for 20 mins till the top is golden.
- Remove and let it cool for few mins. Remove and serve.
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|