Easy Homemade Croissants Recipe with step wise pictures.
These are not the authentic way of making croissants. It is a super easy way to make croissant. Any one can make and comes out perfect every time.
I have been wanting to make croissants for a very long time. But i stayed away from it because of the process. It is little bi tricky. But i came across this recipe few days back and was quite impressed by it. It was super easy and straightforward to make. So thought of trying it.
This croissant had lovely layers and the exterior is crispy and the interior is soft and buttery. Super good.
I made this yesterday and it was a huge success. I had two warm croissants for breakfast with some soft scrambled eggs. I made a croissant sandwich for lunch and i have set aside few croissant so i can make a delicious pudding out of it.
You can make pigs in a blanket with this dough. This is such a forgiving dough, you can make a thousand recipe using it. I have plans to make a stuffed version of croissants too.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 1/2 cup 180 grams
- Warm Milk - 1/2 cup 120 ml
- Sugar - 3 tblsp
- Dry Yeast - 1.5 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cold Unsalted Butter - 180 grams 14 tblsp butter
- Egg - 1
- Milk - 2 tblsp
(MY 1 CUP MEASURES 240 ML)
- Take yeast, sugar and warm milk in a bowl. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Now take flour, salt, in a bowl and mix well.
- Add in butter and rub it into the flour using your fingers. Dont over work just work it into the flour.
- Now add in yeast mix and use a spatula to bring the dough together.
- Spoon the dough into a parchment lined work surface and gently roll it.
- Now fold from both the longest end. No fold from other opposite side too. Refer image.
- Now cover the dough and chill for 30 mins.
- Now roll it again seam side down and repeat the same process. for 4 to 5 times. If the butter gets so soft put it back in fridge for 30 mins.
- When you keep rolling the dough will get super soft and smooth.
- Now cover it up and put this in fridge overnight.
- Next day roll the dough out into a 10x16 inch rectangle.
- Cut 8 triangles and make a small incision at the base of the triangle.
- Starting at the bottom, widest part of the triangle and loosely roll towards the narrow point of the dough.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- During the last 10 mins of rising. Preheat oven to 425 degree F or 220 Degree C.
- Before baking, beat the egg and 1 tablespoon of whole milk and use a pastry brush to coat the top and sides with the egg wash
- Bake the croissant for 10 mins then lower the temp to 375 degree F or 190 degree C and bake for 5 to 6 mins more.
- Rotate the pan to ensure even baking and browning. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- Remove and cool for 5 mins before serving.
- Enjoy with butter or jam.
Check this quick video
1)Take sugar in a bowl
2)Add warm milk and yeast
3)Let it sit for 5 mins and activate
4)Take flour in a bowl.
7)Add in cubed unsalted cold butter
8)Rub it into the flour
9)Now it is mixed lightly. There can be clumps of butter, no issues.
10)Add in yeast mix.
11)Use a spatula to bring the dough together
12)Scrape the dough into a parchment lined surface.
13)Roll it out.
14)Fold it from the long sides
15)Now fold from the other side too.
16)Wrap it well and chill for 30 mins in fridge
17)Unwrap it and place the seam side down.
18)Roll it into a long rectangle again.
19)Fold from both sides
20)Use the parchment to fold from other side too.
22)Place the seam side down.
23)Roll it again
24)Repeat the same process for 4 to 5 times.
25)If the butter gets too sticky at any point. Put the dough back in the fridge.
26)This is the last fold. i did the above process 6 times in total
27)Wrap it well and put in the fridge overnight.
28)This gives time for the dough to relax.
29)Remove the dough from fridge 10 mins before rolling
30)Roll it into a long rectangle.
31)Cut off the uneven edges
32)Cut like triangles
33)make slits in the bottom
34)Now lets roll
35)Starting from the widest end roll the dough
37)Roll so it forms into a croissant shape like.
38)Place the croissant in a parchment lined baking tray
39)Cover it and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours.
40)Now it is risen
41)Take egg and milk in a bowl.
42)Brush this all over the croissants
43)Time to bake
44)Preheat oven to 425 degree F or 220 Degree C. Bake the croissant for 10 mins then lower the temp to 375 degree F or 190 degree C and bake for 5 to 6 mins more.
46)LOOK AT THOSE LAYERS