Aloo Matar Gravy Recipe with Step by Step Pictures. Spicy and Tangy green peas potato curry which goes well with roti, poori and bhatura. This Aloo peas curry is shared two ways in this blog post. One with onions and one recipe without onions. It is a jain version.
I made this curry for yesterdays breakfast and served it with ragi poori. It turned out really good. I already have a version of aloo peas curry in this blog, but this is a updated version of it with a very little change. Actually i wanted it as a new post with good pictures. I made it with onions, ginger and garlic paste, since my first version has no onions and garlic.
About this Recipe
Aloo mutter (also spelled aloo mattar or aloo matar) is a North Indian dish from the Indian subcontinent made with potatoes (Aloo) and peas (matter) in a spiced creamy tomato sauce. Its a vegetarian meal. In general, the sauce is made with garlic, ginger, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin seeds, and other spices.
Aloo mutter is also sold commercially in ready-to-eat packets that must be heated before serving. It is also used as a filling in some dosa variations. Aloo means potato in Hindi, and matar means green pea.
Ingredients for Aloo Matar Gravy Recipe
It was introduced to India by Portuguese sailors in the early 17th century, and British colonists spread its cultivation to North India. The potato is one of the most important commercial crops grown in the country.
English peas are simply a type of garden pea that is widely grown and known for its sweet flavour and bright, beautiful green colour. Before eating, they must be shucked. Although the flavour varies byvariety, the general consensus is that peas are dual action, with both sweet and savoury notes. They have a strong green flavour
component and can be paired with a variety of proteins, including fish and roast.
Turmeric Powder :
The turmeric root is quite bitter, but has an almost citrusy taste, compared to the powder. Turmeric also has something of a sweet taste, and it is quite earthy. When you use the powder, you're unlikely to notice the texture unless you use a substantial amount, but it is somewhat gritty.
Aloo Matar Recipe | Aloo Peas Curry Recipe | Aloo Matar Gravy Recipe
- Potatoes - 2 large boiled peeled and mashed roughly
- Tomatoes - 3 large pureed
- Oil - 1 tblspn
- Shahi Jeera / Black Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 large chopped finely
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
- Peas - 1 cup i used frozen
- Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Heat oil in a kadai or sauce pan. Add in shahi jeera. Let them sizzle for a min.
- Add onions and cook till golden. Add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add in tomato puree and cook till it thickens.
- Add in all the spice powders. Cook it for few minutes till oil separates from the mix.
- Add in water and mix well.
- Add in potatoes, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Now add in the peas and simmer for 5 to 6 mins.
- Mix well. Simmer for 10 mins. Turn the heat off and serve.Serve with roti.
Version 1: Aloo Peas Curry Recipe
|Take all your ingredients|
I made this curry for yesterdays breakfast and served it with ragi poori. It turned out really good. I already have a version of aloo peas curry in this blog, but this is a updated version of it with a very little change. Actually i wanted it as a new post with good pictures. I made it as a jain version. Because it has no onion and no garlic. But still it tasted amazing..
I love peas curry and potato curry. You can check out my peas kurma and aloo butter masala.. I will share the ragi poori recipe next, keep looking for it..If you are looking for more veg side dishes for roti, chapati, paratha or anything, just CLICK HERE.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins for 30 mins for cooking peas
Serves : 4 to 5
Ingredients for Aloo Matar
How to Make Aloo Matar
- Wash & soak green peas in water overnight. The next day, drain it and add it to pressure cooker, along with 3 cups of water and salt. Pressure cook it for 4 whistle, simmer the pan for 10 mins and turn the heat off. Now let the pressure go all by itself. Open the cooker and keep the peas with the cooking liquid.
- Now heat oil in a kadai or sauce pan. Add in shahi jeera and cinnamon. Let them sizzle for a min.
- Add in all the spice powders in along with ¼ cup of water. Cook it for few minutes till oil separates from the spice powders.
- Add in tomato puree, ginger, salt and sugar. Cook on high heat till oil separates.
- Now add in the cooked peas along with the water and mashed potatoes.
- Mix well. Simmer for 10 mins. Turn the heat off and serve.
- Serve with roti.
|Take all your ingredients|
|Add in shahi jeera and cinnamon stick|
|Add in chilli, coriander, turmeric, garam masala &