Madurai Vela Meen Kuzhambu Recipe with step wise pictures.
Super spicy curry made with fish taste really good with rice. This is a madurai speciality and it don’t need any coconut.
I have shared so many variation of fish curry in this blog, this is another one from madurai district. It is made using velameen and the recipe is very simple. The flavour and taste for this comes from gingelly oil and the small onions which we are using.
If you have any fish recipes which are mind blowing. send it to me. I would love to give it a try.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Vela Meen - 500 grams
- Gingelly Oil / Nala Ennai - ¼ cup
- Fenugreek Seeds / Methi / Vendayam - ½ tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tsp
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 15
- Green Chilli - 2 chopped
- Tomato - 3 pureed
- Chilli Powder - 1 tblsp
- Coriander Powder - 2 tblsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind Pulp - 1 small lemon size
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- Heat gingelly oil in a earthernware pot. Add fennel seeds and fenugreek. Let it sizzle.
- Add in shallots and green chillies and mix well.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cook till oil separates.
- Add in all spice powders and mix well.
- Add tamarind water, salt, water and mix well. Simmer for 10 to 15 mins.
- Add in fish pieces and simmer for 10 mins.
1)Heat gingelly oil in a pan
2)Add fenugreek seeds
3)Add fennel seeds
4)Add in shallots and green chillies
5)Saute for a min.
6)Add in tomato puree
8)Cook till raw smell leaves
9)Add in spice powders
11)Add in tamarind water
13)Add salt to taste
14)Mix well andcook till oil separates
15)Add fish pieces
17)Add water as needed
18)Cook till done
I am Aarthi, a happy homemaker, mom of two beautiful girls, married to my high school sweet heart. My goal is to teach people that cooking can be way more easier and joyful than they think. Yummy Tummy features recipes all over the world with step wise pictures which surely shows the ease of cooking.