Sivakasi Style Karuvadu Kuzhambu Recipe – Dried Fish Kuzhambu Recipe with step wise pictures.
Spicy and tangy dried fish curry. This karuvadu kuzhambu is mouthwatering and taste so delicious with hot rice. It is pretty easy to make as well.
Hubby loves dried fish curry, not only dried fish, he love anything fish. I have mentioned this all the times whenever i post fish recipes. I love making fish curries for him and sit on his side asking him how it taste, because each time i make different curries. Most of the time it is his favorite fish curry. I have posted a dried fish fry recipe before, that is the first time i cooked using dried fish. Dried fish is only for the heavy fish lovers, because it has a intense fishy taste which i dont like. And also it is packed with tons of salt, so you have to wash it well to get rid of it and also you shouldn’t add any salt untill the dish is finished, taste it and add it in the end.
Now coming to this recipe, couple weeks back when me and hubby where shopping, he found few packed of dried fish in the shelves. Immediately he got couple of packets of them. And i used them to make this dish and it tasted really good. Try to find dried fish which is packed properly and looks clean, imported dried fish can have less salts, I have shared a tip of soaking the dried fish in hot boiling water for 15 mins before you cook them, this will remove most of the salt and make it soft. So follow this recipe and let me know if it tried it.
- Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
- Shallots / Sambar Onion - 20 chopped finey
- Tomato - 1 large chopped finely
- Green Chillies - 4 slit
- Garlic - 5 cloves sliced
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tblsp
- Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Gingelly Oil / Nala Ennai / Sesame Oil - ½ cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Nethili Karuvadu - 2 packets
- Wash and soak dried fish in warm water for 10 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Take tamarind in a bowl, add water and soak for 10 mins. Drain and take it in a earthernware pot.
- Add in chopped onions and all ingredients except oil and fish.
- Bring it to a boil, boil for 5 mins.
- Now add in oil and boil for 5 more mins.
- Add fish and cook till fish is cooked.
- Take it off the heat and let it stand for 1 hour for the flavour to develop.
- Serve with rice.
1)Take dried fish in a bowl.
2)I soaked them in warm water for 15 mins.
1)Soak tamarind in some water, squeeze and extract the pulp.
2)Take it in a bowl.
3)Add in chopped shallots
4)Add in some garlic
5)Add in green chillies
6)Add in chopped tomatoes
7)Add in chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder
8)Add in some salt.
9)Add little water
10)Mix well. Put it on heat
11)Bring it to a boil.
12)Boil for 5 to 6 mins.
13)Now add in lots of gingelly oil (indian sesame oil /nala ennai)
14)Add a good amount of oil, this is what gives flavour.
15)Simmer for 5 mins.
16)Now the gravy is getting little thicker
17)Add in cleaned, washed dried fish
19)Cook for 10 mins on low flame.
20)Now the fish is cooked. Turn off the flame and let it sit for 1 hour to develop flavour.
22)Taste great with rice.