Aloo Pulao or Potato Pulav with step by step pictures. Simple pulao made with potato, basmati rice and minimum spices to create a flavourful pulao.
Pulao is a very simple dish which has a lovely aroma on pureed onions through out the rice..I make pulao differently each time and this is one of my favourite recipe. It is pretty mild and taste great with any spicy curries or raita.
About Aloo Pulao
Pulao is a light dish that gets its flavour and nutty colour from a gently spiced meat broth. It's usually served with korma, a rich meat or vegetable curry with a thick sauce. It uses a complex spice blend and requires you to layer the rice with your protein of choice before slow-cooking it.
You can never go wrong with a potato and rice combination. A high- carb meal that's full of energy and flavour. you'll be surprised at how well it goes with almost anything as a side or main course. It's simple to make and store in the fridge, making it ideal for meal prep.
Jeera Veg Pulao
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
Ingredients for Aloo Pulao
Basmati Rice :
Basmati rice is a long, slender-grained aromatic rice that has traditionally been grown in India, Nepal, and Pakistan. White basmati rice contains more calories and carbohydrates than regular white rice. It also contains slightly more protein, but the difference is insignificant. Furthermore, both types of grains are highly processed
and, due to their low fibre content, may cause blood sugar spikes.
Ghee tends to be one of those hyperbole-inducing foods, like macarons and gelato, that people describe quite dramatically as being heavenly or the best thing ever. In actuality, ghee tastes like a cleaner, richer, more decadent version of butter itself.
Turmeric Powder :
The turmeric root is quite bitter, but has an almost citrusy taste, compared to the powder. Turmeric also has something of a sweet taste, and it is quite earthy. When you use the powder, you're unlikely to notice the texture unless you use a substantial amount, but it is somewhat gritty.
Tomato flavour is frequently described as sweet, tart, tangy, or well- balanced. flavour is also known as classic tomato flavour or old-fashioned tomato flavour in some cases. Some tomatoes are described as having a mild or bland flavour.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Aloo Pulao Recipe | Potato Pulav Recipe
- Basmati Rice - 2 cups
- Ghee - 2 tblspn
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Onion - 1 medium size sliced thinly
- Tomatoes - 2 sliced thinly
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi - 1 tsp
- Potatoes - 2 peeled and cubed
- Milk - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cup
- Coriander leaves a handful finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- For Masala:
- Onion - 1 large peeled and chopped
- Green Chillies - 5 to 6 or to taste
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tblspn
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tblspn
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 4 cm piece
- Soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Take ingredients for masala and puree them. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add in cumin seeds and turmeric, crackle them.
- Add in onions and fry till golden.
- Add in tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Now add in the ground masala and cook till oil separates,
- Add in potatoes and toss well. Add in rice and mix well.
- Pour in milk and water. Season with salt and mix well.
- Bring it to boil, Cover the cooker. Simmer the flame and cook on low heat for 15 mins. Turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself.
- Open the cooker and fluff the rice, add in coriander leaves and mix well.
Aloo Pulao Step by Step
|Take all your ingredients|