Easy aloo tikki recipe with step by step pictures. Easy aloo tikki which can be had as it is or with chaat.
I love making cutlets, this is one of the simple cutlet made with potatoes. I call them as tikki because there is no cornflour coating in them.
About Aloo Tikki
Alu tikki, also known as alu ki tikkia or alu ki tikki, is an Indian snack made of boiled potatoes, peas, and various curry spices. It is popular in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. In Hindi-Urdu and Marathi, alu means potato, and tikki; means a small cutlet or croquette. It is served hot with saunth, tamarind, and coriander-mint sauce, as well as dahi (yoghurt) or chickpeas. The snack is a vegetarian alternative
to the hash brown and an Indian version of the hash brown. Alu tikki are deep-fried mashed potato patties with coriander, peas, and spices. Some North Indian dhabas or cafe-style eateries will sandwich the alu between two slices of bread.
Ingredients for Aloo Cutlet
Potatoes grow in dirt, and some of them get caught in the shallow eyes. Rinsing the potatoes and placing them in a bowl of water with a little concentrated lemon juice can sometimes remove the odour or taste when baked or boiled later.
Chat Masala Powder :
Chaat Masala has a distinct and easily identifiable flavour. It's a complex blend of tart, spicy, salty, tangy, and sour flavours with a hint of sweetness
Version 1 : Aloo Tikki Recipe
|add a little chat masala powder and some salt..
Be careful with the salt, because chat masala has salt in them
Aloo Tikki | Aloo Tikki Recipe | Potato Cutlet Recipe
- Potatoes - 2 large boiled and peeled
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
- Chat Masala Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander Leaves a handful finely chopped
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
- Breadcrumbs as needed
- Oil for Shallow Frying
- Mix all the ingredients except oil and breadcrumbs. Shape it into log like shape.
- Coat it in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil for frying, fry in oil till golden on both sides.
- Serve with ketchup.
Version 2 - Aloo Tikki for Chaats
If you need any quick snack for kids or any instant filling for burger then this is the answer. And this delicious dish can be transformed into awesome chat item. This pattice is so quick to make and really yummy to eat. Traditionally this is deep fried, but I pan fried it with a little bit of oil to make it even more healthy..Still it tasted awesome.. You can have it with ketchup or any of the chaat chutneys. You can check recipes of that here, here and here.
Ingredients for Aloo Chaat
- Potato – 4 large boiled
- Bread Crumbs – 5 tblspn
- Cumin powder / Jeera podi -1 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi- ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder / Malli Podi -1 tblspn
- Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
- Chat masala powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – 3 tblspn finely chopped
- Green chilli -1 finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil- 2 tblspn
Aloo Tikki Preparation
- Take boiled potatoes in a bowl and mash it well.
- Add all ingredients given above except oil in the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Take a small portion in your hands and form pattice from that.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry this pattice till golden brown on both sides..
- Remove and serve with ketchup or any of chat items.
|Take all your ingredients|
|Potatoes are boiled and peeled|
|add it to a bowl|
|mash it well..I used fork, you can do it with potato masher|
|add green chilli and coriander leaves|
|add all spice powders in|
|now bread crumbs|
|and mix well|
|take a small portion|
|and form into nice patties|
|arrange it in a plate|
|now heat little oil in a pan|
|and drop this patties in that|
|fry till golden on both sides|