Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe with step by step pictures. Spicy egg curry made with freshly toasted spices.
I love eggs in any form. They are one of the versatile ingredients to have around because you can whip up anything during any time of the day. I make curries with it often to go along with roti or appam or whatever..The curries made with eggs pair great with these. You can check out my curry making history here and all the egg recipes posted in yummy tummy here.
This recipe is quite different from the normal curry, because it has a very intense spicy flavour to it from the freshly ground masala. I served this spicy curry with roti and i had some leftover the next day which i served with aapam. I should admit that the curry tasted way better the next day when reheated, the flavours got meld together beautifully. Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turned out for you.
About Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe
Chenninad Egg Curry is a South Indian dish that combines boiled eggs with a delectable tomato-onion curry flavoured with coconut and red dry chilli paste.
Chettinad cuisine is the cuisine of the Nattukotai Chettiars, also known as Nagarathars, from the Chettinad region in the Shivagangai district of Tamil Nadu, India. Chettinad cuisine is perhaps the most well-known dish in Tamil Nadu. It employs a wide range of spices, and the dishes are prepared with freshly ground masalas.
Chettiars also use a variety of sun-dried meats and salted vegetables, which
reflect the regions dry climate. The majority of the dishes are accompanied by rice or rice-based accompaniments such as dosas, appams, idiyappams, adais, and idlis.
Chettinad cuisine includes both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Paniyaram, vellai paniyaram, karuppatti paniyaram, paal paniyaram, kuzhi paniyaram, kozhukatta, masala paniyaram, adikoozh, kandharappam, seeyam, masala seeyam, kavuni arisi,
maavurundai, and athirasam are some.
Ingredients for Chettinad Egg Curry
Raw eggs have a fairly bland flavour, but those who are more sensitive to them may find them overpowering. Because egg yolks are mostly fats, they have a buttery flavour, are very creamy, and have a smooth mouthfeel.
Turmeric Powder :
The turmeric root is quite bitter, but has an almost citrusy taste, compared to the powder. Turmeric also has something of a sweet taste, and it is quite earthy. When you use the powder, you're unlikely to notice the texture unless you use a substantial amount, but it is somewhat gritty.
Onions are considered a basic ingredient or the foundation of Indian cooking and are used to make any gravy, curry, or bhuna dish. The flavour and aroma of onion transforms any ordinary dish into a mouthwatering and delectable one.
📖 Recipe Card
Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe
- Eggs - 4
- Oil - 2 tblspn
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi - 1 tsp
- Onions - 2 large sliced thinly
- Tomato Puree - ½ cup 2 medium size pureed
- Green chilli - 1 slit
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tblspn
- Salt to taste
For Roasting and Grinding:
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds / Malli - 2 tblspn
- Whole Pepper - 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 4
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam - 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon / Pattai - 1 small stick
- Start by hard boiling the eggs. Peel them and make lots of slashes in them. Set aside.
- Now make the masala.Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadai. Add in the whole spices and roast them for 3 mins on low heat till they are toasted and roasted. Take them in a blender and add some water to it. Make into a smooth paste.
- Now heat some more oil in a kadai. Add in mustard seeds, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Now add in the onions and green chilli along with some salt. Saute this for 2 mins till they are translucent. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5 more mins, so the onions turns soft and cooked.
- Now add in the masala paste along with ginger garlic paste and saute this till the oil separates on top.
- Now add in the tomato puree and cook them for 5 more mins till they are cooked.
- Now pour some water and add in the eggs. Cover the kadai and let them cook for 10 mins till the oil floats on top.
- Serve with rice or anything you prefer.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Chettinad Egg Curry Recipe Step by Step Pictures
|You will need, tomato puree, oil, onions,
green chillies,whole spices,ginger garlic paste,
|Start by boiling eggs|
|peel them, make deep slashes in them|
|You will need, coriander seeds, pepper,
dry chilli, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon,
|Add them to a kadai with a tsp of oil|
|Roast them well|
|Add them to a blender|
|And make into a fine paste|
|Heat some more oil|
|Add in mustard, turmeric, curry leaves|
|add in onions and green chilli|
|Add some salt|
|Cover the pan|
|Now the onions is soft and translucent|
|Now add in the masala paste|
|and mix well|
|add in ginger garlic paste|
|Cook till oil separates from them|
|Add in tomato puree|
|And pour some water|
|Add in eggs|
|Cover and simmer|
|Till oil floats on top|