“Chicken Katsu Recipe is a crispy fried panko crusted chicken. This chicken is best served with some spicy sauce and salad.”
Chicken katsu, also known as panko chicken, or tori katsu is a Japanese dish of fried chicken made with panko bread crumbs which is also popular in Australia, Hawaii, London, California, and other areas of the world.
Chicken katsu will be your kids favorite. It taste similar to chicken nuggets. Chicken katsu taste best when served with a popular japanese dipping sauce tonkatsu sauce. It is served along with some lettuce, cabbage, salad and rice.
Also check out recipe for sticky rice recipe to serve with this.
Which breadcrumbs is best for Chicken Katsu?
Use japanese style panko breadcrumbs for best taste and crisp texture. It helps attain more crispy texture in the chicken than regular breadcrumbs.
What is panko breadcrumbs?
Panko is a variety of flaky bread crumb used in Japanese cuisine as a crunchy coating for fried foods, such as tonkatsu. Panko is made from bread baked by electrical current, which yields a bread without a crust, and then grinding the bread to create fine slivers of crumb.
What is Chicken Katsu?
Chicken katsu is panko crusted fried chicken which is similar to chicken cutlets.
How to Prepare Chicken for Chicken Katsu:
- Take boneless chicken breast. Place on a cutting board.
- Slice it in the middle using a sharp knife. So you get two pieces of chicken breast from one.
- Now use a meat mallet and bash the chicken till it is even and thin.
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
How to Prepare Breading station of the chicken:
- Take three shallow plates.
- Take all purpose flour in first one. Eggs in the second one, Panko breadcrumbs in the third one.
- Season each with salt and pepper for best flavour.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
- Boneless Chicken Breast - 2
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper powder to taste
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - ¼ cup
- Egg - 1
- Breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Take boneless chicken breast. Slit it in the middle so it is thin.
- Now use a meat masher to pound the chicken so it is thin and even.
- Now season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Take three shallow plates. Place flour in one plate, season with salt and pepper.
- In another plate take eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- In the third plate, take breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Take chicken and coat in flour, then dip in eggs, coat in breadcrumbs.
- Now heat oil in a cast iron pan. Place chicken and fry till golden brown on both sides. It will take around 2 mins each side.
2)Slice the chicken in the middle so it opens up like a book. So you get two fillets of chicken breast from one chicken.
3)You can use a meat mallet to bash the chicken so it is thin and even so it cooks faster.
4)Don't over cook the chicken else it will get dry.
1)Take chicken breast. Slice each chicken breast in the middle so you get two pieces of chicken.
2)Use a meat mallet to bash the chicken.
4)season chicken both sides with salt and pepper.
5)Take breadcrumbs, flour and eggs in separate plates. Season everything with salt and pepper.
6)Take flour, season with salt and pepper.
7)Take breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
8)Take eggs, season with salt and pepper.
9)Whisk well and set aside.
10)Take chicken and coat with flour
11)coat chicken with flour.
12)Dip chicken in eggs
13)Dip in eggs
14)Coat in breadcrumbs.
15)Coat well in breadcrumbs.
17)Repeat this with all pieces.
18)Heat oil in a cast iron pan.
19)Place chicken in the oil and fry till golden and crispy.
20)Flip over and cook.