Chocolate rich chocoflan recipe which is also called as impossible cake which has a chocolate cake layer, flan and dulce de leche.
This is one recipe which was requested for quite a long time on my blog. Finally i made it and it turned out so good..Ofcourse it needs some work and effort but frankly pretty simple to make, but taste so yummy..I have already shared a plain caramel custard recipe here.
About this Recipe
Chocoflan, also known as The Impossible Chocolate Cake and The Magic Mexican Chocolate Flan Cake, is a chocolate cake with flan on top. It goes into the oven with the flan on top and the chocolate cake batter on the bottom. The chocolate cake is on top and the flan is on the bottom when it comes out of the oven. The classic Crèm Caramel is a French dessert, whereas the ChocoFlan is a Mexican dessert. Since the French colonised Lebanon as part of the French Mandate in the early twentieth century, French culture had a significant influence on Lebanese society.
Why is ChocoFlan called the impossible cake?
Chocoflan is also known as the impossible cake because it goes into the oven with the flan on top and the chocolate cake batter on the bottom, but it comes out completely reversed, with the baked chocolate cake on top and the cooked flan on the bottom.
The taste of this is so yummy, A delicious chocolate cake with a creamy vanilla custard and the finger licking licking dulce de leche topping taste heaven when cold. I loved the chocolate cake layer in this and hubby loved the flan layer. I think this is a perfect christmas cake so give it a try.
Ingredients for Chocoflan Recipe :
Caramel Sauce :
Caramel is an orange-brown confectionery made by heating a variety of sugars. It can be used to flavour puddings and desserts, fill bonbons, and as a topping for ice cream and custard.
Unsalted Butter :
Unsalted butter allows you to completely control the flavour of your recipe. This is especially important in baked goods that rely heavily on the pure, sweet cream flavour of butter (butter cookies or pound cakes). When it comes to cooking, unsalted butter allows the true, natural flavour of your foods to shine through.
Sweetened Condensed Milk :
Sweetened condensed milk is cooked until it thickens and becomes a creamy caramel-like pudding that can be used in a variety of dessert recipes. Its delicious on its own, with ice cream, in coffee, or spread on apple slices.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Chocoflan Recipe | Chocolate Flan Cake Recipe
- Dulce de Leche or Caramel Sauce as needed
- For Cake:
- All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 ¾ cup / 210 grams
- Sugar - 1 cup / 200 grams
- Unsalted Butter - 150 grams / 10 tblspn
- Baking Powder - ¾ tsp
- Baking Soda / Cooking Soda - ¾ tsp
- Egg - 1
- Cocoa Powder - ⅓ cup / 40 grams
- Milk - 1 ¼ cup / 300 ml
- Vinegar - 1.5 tsp
- For Flan:
- Eggs - 4
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1 can / 400 grams
- Milk - 1 cup / 240 ml
- Vanilla Essence - 1 tblspn
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. Grease a 12 cup bundt cake pan really well with oil. Set aside.
- Take milk in a jug, add in vinegar and mix well. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Now i used dulce de leche, so i warmed it little in a pan till it gets spreadable. You can use caramel sauce them dont need to warm it.
- Pour the sauce over the pan and set aside.
- Now lets make the cake batter. Take flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder in a sifter and sieve it. Set aside.
- Take butter, sugar in a bowl and beat till fluffy.
- Add in egg and beat till fluffy.
- Add in half the flour mix and half of the milk mix and mix well.
- now add remaining flour and milk mix and fold gently.
- Spoon this over the caramel topping and spread it evenly. Now set aside in a baking tray with high side.
- Now Take eggs, condensed milk and vanilla in a blender and whip well. Add in milk and mix well. Pour this over the cake and cover the whole thing with foil.
- Now pour over hot boiling water on the tray and let it come half way through the pan.
- Bake this covered for 1 hour to 1 ¼ hour. Insert a tooth pick to check whether the cake is done. If the toothpick comes out clean then it is done.
- Remove it from oven and let it cool down for 1 hour.
- Now invert it carefully. if it is not sliding out, dip the pan in boiling water and invert it. It will melt the caramel and will slide out easily.
- Now chill the cake for few hours before serving.,
Chocoflan with Step by Step
|Take all the cake ingredients|
|now time to bake..It may look weird but trust me, once it is baked the flan goes down and the cake just comes up and bake to perfection..|